Why Is My Female Frog So Aggresive

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i tried aps wont let me upload them sorry

- - - Updated - - -

EWS you mean. Skink not dragon

- - - Updated - - -

That is amazing though! I'm yet to see a frog attack a human. Must be a sight to behold.

it dosent really attack just jump at me and kinda head first mabye its a crazy frog?

- - - Updated - - -

probably hungry, and anything moving trigger a feeding response - like your fingers or the skink.

feed it more - everyday.

how do you become a subscriber?

My mums Ex-bf had a GTF and when it was sitting on your hand it would go nuts almost trying to "chew" you fingers/palm, it was a fantastic frog and needless to say a great feeder.

just a quick question can you feed bearded dragons snails haha cause i have loads of them where i live and we havent sprayed them with anything :D

There are no eggs to defend. Gt frogs are very hard to breed and they don't stick around to defend them.

Dareptileboy: to subscribe there is the subscribe link at bottom right of screen. Don't think your beardies will eat snails but you can try, it's the bluetoungues that will eat snails.

its all about food if it moves her first thought is ...can i eat it trust me she is eye balling the skink i have witnessed a large green frog eat a green tree snake that was at least 60 cm long it took him about 20 minutes to push it all into its gob..and it associates the movement of your hand with food...

Thank You All For this help i will see how it goes for a couple of days and if it gets worse ill dig up my skinks old tank

To me it seems she knows the hand that feeds her. Everytime she sees your hand something clicks in her braing saying "Food"...she may not be hungry, she just thinks you have food that is why she is 'attacking'???

Good luck :D

- - - Updated - - -

its all about food if it moves her first thought is ...can i eat it trust me she is eye balling the skink i have witnessed a large green frog eat a green tree snake that was at least 60 cm long it took him about 20 minutes to push it all into its gob..and it associates the movement of your hand with food...

I've seen a pic of one eating a Bandy Bandy :D If they can fit in their mouth they will manage to eat it ;)

yea thanks

- - - Updated - - -

i moved my skink out and its much better might have been a territorial thing ?

...have you considered feeding daily instead of every other day...?

GTF should not ever be fed daily as they get fat, rapidly/easily.

- They don't feed daily in wild, as
- They lack the exercise in captivity.

They much prefer 'wiggly prey', so anything that moves... is a potential meal!
;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
i feed them every second day like 5/9 crickets each

- 9 crickets? It sounds excessive.
- The lizard could be a stress/threat in same habitat. or
- Try and separate her.

There is a solution to your problem. It's called "Species only tanks". But I am sure in time when the EWD is bigger that is exactly what you will have lol

You mean the EWS will eat the frog(s), right?

Last edited:
It sounds me like you have a couple of issues going on at the same time animals almost invariably bite for one of two reasons – to attack food and in self-defence.

Now, if pretty much the only time the frog has seen a human hand inside its cage and in front of it, is when it is fed, it will natural come to associate the two events (like Pavlov’s dog). This is the most like explanation for that behaviour.

Frogs are not territorial in as much as they do not defend an area where they live. However, if they feel threatened and are unable to run away or hide, they will, if sufficiently stressed, attack the source of that threat. Males are also known to be quite vocal at such times, letting out a loud squeal rather than the usual mating call. Water skinks are predators of small frogs and large frogs are predators of small water skinks. It would be at all surprising if each was uncomfortable in the company of the other, especially if they each had near misses with the other when younger. I think what you are seeing between the two is a defensive reaction. If this is the case then both animals will be stressed by being kept in close proximity and should definitely be separated. You should be able to see a distinct change in behaviour within a short time following separation if this is the case.

People do keep water skinks and frogs in the same enclosure but the size is normally substantially bigger, both frogs and lizards are adult and the frogs have plenty of arboreal room with branches and foliage into which to retreat. Even then, it is still questionable if it is a good idea.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back