Infrared spot globe blown.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rob8290

I purchased a infrared spot basking globe from a pet shop about a week ago and I came home today to find it has blown already just after a week. How long are these things supposed to last? As I know it's not a week.

Welcome to heating by globe! The best are the zoo med. I buy them wholesale in quantity and get them for around $14-15 ea. But you gotta buy a few.

What heating product would be the best and last the longest in your opinion?

Globes from bunnings as someday said last longer and are much cheaper.
depending on the animal at hand you could try heat cords, a reptile radiator or heat panel (quite expensive but pays off as they last a long time an are good) or there's heat tape, mats or there are a variety of other globes available.

I was thinking a ceramic heat emitter alongside a dimming thermostat. Opinions?

I use CHEs with a thermostat. i quite like the setup. they smell bad when you first use them but: and its not a healthy smell.
UV is really only needed for lizards and diamonds...and as long as there is daylight for a natural day-night cycle to be imitated, CHEs is the go.

I love the ceramic heat globes and dimming thermostats :D . The only down side is that they are expencive when the electricity bill comes in.
I have 2 pythons with the ceramic globes and the rest are on heat cords to cut the cost of my bill down.
If your bulb died after only a week, the pet shop should exchange it for you. I beleive they only last for about 3 months anyway.

Sorry to ask something perhaps a bit personal but how much does the CHE up the bill?

Just the same sort of infrared type?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I dont have a local bunnings. Would mighter 10 stock similar?

Ooooh sorry half asleep, so I assume you are using infareds for night time viewing? If so no idea where to get cheap reliable bulbs.

I use infrared as the primary heat source as she has natural lighting during the day and I see no point in changing lights on a timer of she has ambient light.

I use infrared as the primary heat source as she has natural lighting during the day and I see no point in changing lights on a timer of she has ambient light.

My monitors also get natural lighting through out the day ( UVA you mean ? ). If so just use bunning regular non ES bulbs, if you are using infrared for night time heating again I have no idea where to get cheap infrared bulbs sorry.

Yeah I use it for night time heating :/ cheers for the help anyway mate.

I purchased a infrared spot basking globe from a pet shop about a week ago and I came home today to find it has blown already just after a week. How long are these things supposed to last? As I know it's not a week.

Mine are all Reptile One and cost $8 (75W) at Pet Barn. The first one lasted 1 month. They repaced it FREE of charge no probs!

Ive had 2 others from Pet City - $6, that lasted 35 and 40 days they were also exchanged.

They were blowing up, due to constant flicking off/on, in winter. I've since adjusted the temps on my thermostat and no longer have an issue.

Some say that Reptile One IRs are not the best, I dont argue with that, but for 6 bucks as oposed to $25 - $55+, (depend brand and store), I dont mind paying $6 again if needed.

Not to mention they're replaced for FREE if blown up.

You just have to take it back to store. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't have any of these stores locally :/ I live in a country town. Closest one would be about 1 half to two hours away. That makes things difficult.

I love the ceramic heat globes and dimming thermostats :D . The only down side is that they are expencive when the electricity bill comes in.
I have 2 pythons with the ceramic globes and the rest are on heat cords to cut the cost of my bill down.
If your bulb died after only a week, the pet shop should exchange it for you. I beleive they only last for about 3 months anyway.

My 60W CHEs heated up way too much, I ended up with the lid of my enclosure all warped!
(On that side only and after instaling the CHE. The plastic protection shield around the ceramic baten also started to get dark brow, wonder if had I left it there if it would in fact melt?)

They dont through the heat as far down (like IRs do). So over all, the enclosure is like an oven, but the slate at bottom (basking spot) is still not as hot.

On other hand, my $8 75W Reptile One IRs, last me approx. 8 months. (until I turned them off now in summer)

I did the maths and know what I prefer from now on. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back