Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeusy

Reaction score
hey all, i apologise but i have tried searching for the answer and have found some but i'm wondering which species are the smallest to which are the largest?
I'm thinking jungles are most likely the smallest, gtp and diamond and then the bredli and md (around the same size?), then the coastal? What size do they all average? I know it's dependant on the individual but im just trying to get an idea.

Thanks

Pygmy python be the smallest n scrubbie be the biggest

- - - Updated - - -

Haha i take that bak just read wat u said i thought u said smallest aust python mayb need to lay off the fosters

- - - Updated - - -

Haha i take that bak just read wat u said i thought u said smallest aust python mayb need to lay off the fosters

He said Moreila which doesn't include Pygmys. And a Pygmy is an Australian Python, yeah you be better lay off the Fosters haha

I think the smallest is either the Greens or the Jungles with the largest being I think Scrubbies

Last edited:
He said Moreila which doesn't include Pygmys or Scrubbies. And both of those were Australian pythons, yeah you be better lay off the Fosters haha

I think the smallest is either the Greens or the Jungles with the largest being I think Coastals or Bredli
A scrubby is a Morelia, it contains carpet roughies green trees oenpelli scrubby

GTP, MD or certain Jungle localities would be the smallest from what I know. They would top out at about 5'.
Then it would be Darwins which probably top out at around 6'-7'.
Then Bredli and Diamonds which can be anywhere from 6'-8'.
Then Coastals which can get to 10' or even 12'-13' for really big ones.
Then there's the Scrubbies that can get upwards of 15'.

I only own a couple of Morelia species so this is just what I've gleaned from books and internet over the years. Happy to be shown where I've made mistakes but up until this post nobody had actually answered the OP

Last edited:
Thanks everyone and thanks saximus, that's exactly what i was after. I was way off, lol. I even forgot quite a few species.

- - - Updated - - -

Blimey.. Dread to think what you'd be like if you had some proper beer! :lol: (UK beer snob)

GTP, MD or certain Jungle localities would be the smallest from what I know. They would top out at about 5'.
Then it would be Darwins which probably top out at around 6'-7'.
Then Bredli and Diamonds which can be anywhere from 6'-8'.
Then Coastals which can get to 10' or even 12'-13' for really big ones.
Then there's the Scrubbies that can get upwards of 15'.

I only own a couple of Morelia species so this is just what I've gleaned from books and internet over the years. Happy to be shown where I've made mistakes but up until this post nobody had actually answered the OP

Don't believe everything you read. I know of a 9ft Darwin, and I own a 9 ft diamond. I have owned two 8 ft bredli, but they were still growing.

Attachments

• Alice shots 010.jpg
    Alice shots 010.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 250
  • 200120111075.jpg
    200120111075.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 252
  • 11042010517.jpg
    11042010517.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 233
Don't believe everything you read. I know of a 9ft Darwin, and I own a 9 ft diamond. I have owned two 8 ft bredli, but they were still growing.

Yeah those numbers were typical. Of course there are going to be exceptions. I also should have added that a lot of it has to do with feeding, especially at a young age. Young snakes that are slow to feed or just aren't fed as often as others can be "stunted"

Come on now plissken no need for all this fosters bashin haha i cop it from everyone

- - - Updated - - -

Come on now plissken no need for all this fosters bashin haha i cop it from everyone

The 9ft Diamond..is it a female and was that the big girl who had the large clutch..very impressive..How many large Diamonds that size have you came across during rescues etc..

Yeah I would say Sax's info is fairly much correct excluding exceptions however MD get bigger than 5ft I would have​ said a more general size for MD as 2m which is what like 7 ft or something. Sometimes 2.4 m and then there's the exceptions.

Yeah those numbers were typical. Of course there are going to be exceptions. I also should have added that a lot of it has to do with feeding, especially at a young age. Young snakes that are slow to feed or just aren't fed as often as others can be "stunted"

Thats right, mate your pretty well got it there, though MD can get bigger on average.
RSP would fall into the first lot, but I would change the 5ft to 6ft.

The 9ft Diamond..is it a female and was that the big girl who had the large clutch..very impressive..How many large Diamonds that size have you came across during rescues etc..

She is female, and responsible for a 50 egg clutch two years ago. She is the biggest diamond I have ever seen, though I have caught three wild ones that would have been close at 2850mm, where she is just a tad over 2900mm. I reckon that wild snakes have the potential to grow bigger then captives WHEN they find themselves in a really good environment. IE the diamonds and red bellies I get out of schools are alway big healthy and robust animals. They have food on tap, they have no predators but most importantly and this is where the wild ones can win over captives is that they get to choose their place of rest, so no captive stress.
Its such a shame that I have to take them away from this. Plenty of adult female diamonds top 7-8 ft, where the wild males stop at about 6 to 6.5ft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back