Fancy having your day ruined?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does make you wonder what the population of wild Burmese Pythons is in Florida and what impact this type activity has on it.

Kindest regards

Endeavour

I'm ok with what those 5 guys do. They do not kill the snakes. What upsets me the most is the "hunting" of them. Killing them is not the answer.

Its just like those alligator hunters, sure the tail meat is good, but its just the tail. Why kill an animal like that?

There needs to be more Turtlemans, Steve Irwin's and the Gator Boys in the world. (I know some of you have a dislike for Irwin, that's not what this is about please).

Don't blame it on the humans, Mother Nature had quite a hand in this happening. People tend to forget that part.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

correct me if I am wrong but from what the news tells me, they were released and then bred in the wild killing native wildlife sounds somewhat familiar? (cane toad) yes it upset me but I think it is just because I love animals with scales

correct me if I am wrong but from what the news tells me, they were released and then bred in the wild killing native wildlife sounds somewhat familiar? (cane toad) yes it upset me but I think it is just because I love animals with scales

the vast majority of the burmese in the everglades were as a direct result of hurricane andrew
it demolished a breeder/wholesale suppliers building and started the mess they have now
that is absolute fact
releases of pet pythons is anecdotal at best

what is the law in Aus regarding any carp that are caught??
very similar situation in Florida with an exotic species that may adversely affect the ecology

so if we can happily kill cane toads and carp they should be allowed to kill the pythons
just because they are snakes does not give them benefit of the doubt

Last edited:
We certainly don't need anymore Turtlemans there's enough "LIVE ACTION" and stupidity with 1.

Post an add.
Free burmese pythons come choose your own.
Problem solved.

only problem with that is that these are normal burmese
worth about $10
but same deal as our carp
easier to kill one than catch it live

but 1200 hunters have only caught 15 in 17days as of yesterday
so the burmese will not really be adversely affected by whats happening

We certainly don't need anymore Turtlemans there's enough "LIVE ACTION" and stupidity with 1.

I realised something the other day: If you replace Turtleman's yank accent with an Aussie drawl, he is the embodiment of what would have happened if Steve Irwin grew up in a housing commission flat.

I don't have a problem with pythons being killed in the everglades. I have a problem with the way it's done. They are unskilled "hunters" and that means one thing: the animals will suffer. I would have the same issue with someone catching a carp and leaving it on the bank to suffocate. Just because the animal deserves to die, does not mean it should suffer to its death.

It's a little like the greenies!
not allow to back burn as animals lose their homes but when a fire takes hold then what about the animals that lose their lives or burn that much they die from a slow missable death! IMO if small steps are taken in the beginning than drastic steps don't need to be in the future.

Recently someone posted a topic about a cat that was photographed killing our native wildlife and It was hard to find a post replying to the topic that didn't include the word "kill" in it.

I asked if people would feel the same way about a python endangering our wildlife and was attacked for even suggesting that. Totally unbiased(of course) but the general consent was that it would be fine if it was a reptile doing the damage.

Here we have a python in the cats shoes (so to speak) and it's amazing how quickly people change their opinions and think it's horrific to even think about killing the feral introduced python.

Burmese pythons are a feral pest and have caused a huge amount of damage to the everglades. I don't understand how people can take the side of feral pests over natives. I see no difference between feral pythons in Florida and feral pigs over here. There are very few "pro Hunter" shooting pigs.

I honestly have no issue with this. Burmese pythons in that area are a pest. They're dealing with them, it's hardly "ruin your day" material.

If you listen it actually says every other kind of reptile is off limits. Why would they shoot at or waste their time with something else when they won't get any reward for it?

Good on the "hunters" (in the latter half of the video).

Recently someone posted a topic about a cat that was photographed killing our native wildlife and It was hard to find a post replying to the topic that didn't include the word "kill" in it.

I asked if people would feel the same way about a python endangering our wildlife and was attacked for even suggesting that. Totally unbiased(of course) but the general consent was that it would be fine if it was a reptile doing the damage.

Here we have a python in the cats shoes (so to speak) and it's amazing how quickly people change their opinions and think it's horrific to even think about killing the feral introduced python.

Exactly my thoughts, the biased views displayed sometimes are unbelievable.

Burmese pythons are a feral pest and have caused a huge amount of damage to the everglades. I don't understand how people can take the side of feral pests over natives. I see no difference between feral pythons in Florida and feral pigs over here. There are very few "pro Hunter" shooting pigs.

The actual true damage and the true numbers will never fully be known
But the reality is that there are far fewer wild burmese in Florida that the so called 'experts' said
They have been reported as totally responsible for the huge decline in Floridas wildlife
That argument totally ignores damage done by wild and pet cats dogs and others plus human encroachment and pollution

While I agree that they should be eradicated if possible this entire mess was political from day one

After the death of the young girl by a pet albino burmese and the subsequent charges against the parents
politicians were involved
Anything remotely suggestive of killer snakes was used for votes
Random figures were plucked from anywhere to support the ban of large constrictors as pets
Every so called 'study' has been proved wrong many times

I hate to go over old territory but are cats and dogs natives?

I hate to go over old territory but are cats and dogs natives?

And just like every other feral, I see no issue with shooting feral cats or dogs on sight.
For the record, I love dogs, I am absolutely a self confessed crazy dog person, but at the end of the day a feral pest is a feral pest and should be destroyed.

And just like every other feral, I see no issue with shooting feral cats or dogs on sight.
For the record, I love dogs, I am absolutely a self confessed crazy dog person, but at the end of the day a feral pest is a feral pest and should be destroyed.

Thousands of native animals are killed by household cats and dogs each year. They don't have to be feral to be a problem to native wildlife.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back