how big does an olive pythons cage need to be?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My girl is in a 2.4 mtr x .8 x .8 enclosure .She is ok in there but must say she spends a fair bit of time out of it so depends whether yours will be caged 24/7 or allowed to roam.

My girl is in a 2.4 mtr x .8 x .8 enclosure .She is ok in there but must say she spends a fair bit of time out of it so depends whether yours will be caged 24/7 or allowed to roam.

Joemal, your snakes don't live in enclosures, they live in granny flats. And I am yet to see any sign of the grannies...:facepalm:

I am planning on making my final olive enclosure 2400x1000x900/1000 (L.W.H) with castor wheels to make moving easier and also with handles attached somehow as alot of people will tell you. huge enclosures are A pain in the bottom to move up stairs ect as you can't get A decent grip

Last edited by a moderator:
Joemal, your snakes don't live in enclosures, they live in granny flats. And I am yet to see any sign of the grannies...:facepalm:

I did get a it carried away with scrubbies enclosure . Even on wheels this 300kg beast is going to cause a bit of a problem to shift . Sorry can't really help you with the cage size Reptileben as i go overboard when building them . What i consider just right others would say way too big . There are quiet a few on here with Olives so maybe if a few of them could comment it would give you a better idea .

having a cat and small dogs it wouldn't be able to roam much it would be in the cage the whole time except the odd handling and feeding how big would that how to be?

Lock the mamals out from time to time... or feed them to the Olive. 8)

My uncle kept 2 olives the male lived for 22 years and they lived in a huge 2m length x 1m width x 1m height so yeah that's how big it should be for two.

I would have to say, the bigger the better on larger species... I don't keep large pythons but I would imagine a 2m(h) x 2m(w) x 600(d) would work well. Depends on space you have available. If you have less space, you'd want to let it out for additional exercise and stimulation.... Let it stretch its "legs" on the lawn on a regular basis, otherwise it's curled up in a small box.... That's just my opinion.....

My uncle kept 2 olives the male lived for 22 years and they lived in a huge 2m length x 1m width x 1m height so yeah that's how big it should be for two.
I disagree. 2x1x1 for two adult Olive Pythons is too small in my opinion.

I disagree. 2x1x1 for two adult Olive Pythons is too small in my opinion.

I agree. (With you not antlover) olives get big! We're talking like 11ft often 13ish and sometimes more. That's a fair sized snake and IMO 2x1x1 is on,y just adequate for one snake let alone two. Personally I would make it bigger though. If you don't think you have the space honestly I wouldn't get one. You have to know you have the space and preferably more so that if it gets larger than you planned for you can make it bigger or whatever. You don't want to be selling it in a few years time because you didn't have space. Oh and the dog and cat aren't a problem. Let the snake out and they won't be a problem for you anymore :lol:

In JMO A 7 x 2 x 2 is minimum, They do become quite long and have a nice girth but tend not to roam too much. Think similar too the racking systems for retics over in the US, they're in 6 x 2 x 2 and are quite content as they feel secure. It's all about feeling secure. Also great snake choice, such interesting friendly giants.

Last edited:
I'm getting my first olive on Friday. My enclosure will just be 2400x1000x750

Pretty nice snake as far as temperament goes but you wouldn't want to get in the way of feeding time. A food response bite from one of them would hurt a bit.

olive

PA120005.jpg 6ft x 3ft x 3ft is big enough [ the one on top is 4x2x2 . If you have a spare room you can fit a screen door and some large branches and just use the whole room ;] And never put your hand in cage after handling rats [ found out the hard way ]

Use this formular- (0.8*L)x(0.6*L)x(0.6*L) where L is the length of the terrestrial snake. Read a similar rule to that somewhere and added a bit to it ;)

for a 10m snake, 8x6x6m enclosure :) and make sure u feed the olive your cat :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back