My new blonde spotted :)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brianp

Not so new Member
Reaction score
IMG_1218.jpgIMG_1226.jpgIMG_1228.jpgIMG_1229.jpgIMG_1244.jpgIMG_1232.jpgIMG_1235.jpgIMG_1247.jpgI just thought i'd show off my new baby blonde spotted, his my first one. And any tips/info that can help in keeping this guy happy will be greatly appreciated.

Hey mate, nice new additon. A blonde mac was my first snake aswell and still is my only snake :)

What kind of info were u looking for?
housing?
temps?
feeding?
shedding?
handling?
all of above?

Nice looking Spotted.

We have picked out our new Spotted (first snake) and should have her in a couple of weeks or so, so I feel your excitement. It is hard not to get bitten by the bug.....LOL

Robert.

Thanks albino93, i have done plenty of research and the breeder gave me plenty of tips and knowledge, i was just curious to what everyone else does with there spotteds. Another question is what is a good indication that he is settled and ready to slowly start handling him, i brought him home yesterday and he spent the arvo and night cruising around his enclosure and around 9pm he curled up next to his rock and then around 2am i noticed he had moved into his hide, he came out breifly this morning and then went back into his hide, i havent been home since lunchtime and i'll be home around 11ish tonight to see what his up to then. Also do they sleep more during the day or night lol

- - - Updated - - -

Nice looking Spotted.

We have picked out our new Spotted (first snake) and should have her in a couple of weeks or so, so I feel your excitement. It is hard not to get bitten by the bug.....LOL

Robert.

haha yeah i know exactly the excitement your talking about! enjoy your new spotted :)

haha! I love spotteds! My first snake, they are so beautiful and yours is such a cutie pie! I usually handle mine after they have had 2 feeds :)

- - - Updated - - -

That's for new snakes, I wait 2 feeds+digestion before I start handling :)

I fed him yesterday at the breeders house. before bringing him home, and she informed me that he may shed in aroound a week or so. So im hoping if he stays in his hide for the rest of the week its a good indication that he will shed and that there isnt anything wrong with the enclosure. if that makes any difference

Normally u would let them settle in for about a week before u start handling them, he'll cruise around alot even during the day sussing out his new home trying to find a way to escape. They generally sleep during the day and are active at night like ur typical nocturnal python.

I keep my girl in a 3ft enclosure with 2 hides and a branch to climb on, i use a heatmat connected to a thermostat set to 32 degrees on one side of the enclosure, i also keep a thermometer on the cool end to regulate ambiant temps. I handle her every day for about an hour and a half except for when she's had a feed i generally wait 48 hours before i start handling again. Hope this info helps

- - - Updated - - -

I fed him yesterday at the breeders house. before bringing him home, and she informed me that he may shed in aroound a week or so. So im hoping if he stays in his hide for the rest of the week its a good indication that he will shed and that there isnt anything wrong with the enclosure. if that makes any difference

Yeh when they are in shed they will hide on the warm side for the whole process, just make sure u up the humidy for a nice clean shed, nothing to worry about. :)

Yeah that info helps alot, i'll leave him be for the week and if he doesnt show signs of shedding i'll give him a feed next monday. i have click clack with a rock hide on the hot side and a small log on the cool side, and a vine going from one side to the other incase he wants to climb. and i run a heat mat hooked up to a thermostat set at 31. my cool side has a thermometer and it varies around the 26-27 degree mark. Would i just put a second water bowl in there to up the humidity? his current water bowl is a pretty good size, ahhh so many questions, i just dont want to do anything wrong to the snake .

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah that info helps alot, i'll leave him be for the week and if he doesnt show signs of shedding i'll give him a feed next monday. i have click clack with a rock hide on the hot side and a small log on the cool side, and a vine going from one side to the other incase he wants to climb. and i run a heat mat hooked up to a thermostat set at 31. my cool side has a thermometer and it varies around the 26-27 degree mark. Would i just put a second water bowl in there to up the humidity? his current water bowl is a pretty good size, ahhh so many questions, i just dont want to do anything wrong to the snake .

Oh.. what a gorgeous little shnooky-shnake! Antaresia babies are just so beautiful and delicate. Hope you have a nice name for the little darling :)

he is georgous but im not having much luck in the way of names atm, i can't seem to decide on one and if i dont hurry up my girlfriend is going to name him hiss. any ideas lol

For humidity i just spray the substrate under the rock on the warm side a couple of times a day but thats just my method, alot of people just put a water bowl on the warm side (ive never tried this method so idk if it works well or not) u could try using the water bowl for extra humidity and test to see if it works, just use the one uve got in there and place it on the warm side.

Wow he is just amazingly beautiful:shock:, really have to get a snake.
great pick antaresia are so pretty. Enjoy

how about mr slithers? hehehe

Last edited:
oh yeah that sounds like a good idea. i'll see what he does over the next couple days and if he shows signs of shedding, i'll move the water bottle over to the hot side. Thanks for your help albino93!

- - - Updated - - -

haha thanks! umm i think i'd have to go with hiss over mr slithers if i had to choose between the 2 :D

sounds like you are getting some pretty good advice here Brianp, i am digesting it all myself, i will be getting my 2 new spotty worms from the same place as Bart70, and i too am all excited, even though i have had a snake for the last 5 years i still feel like an expectant father, lol i am sticking to the spice train for their names the M will be "Safron" notice the "ron" in the name lol and the F is "Jasmin" as our big girl is named "Cinaman" so i will not have snake enclosures more like spice cupboards lolz. i just hope my light coloured female turns out to be as pretty as yours Brianp.............................................................................Ron

I get my new spotted baby tomorrow as well. So excited.
Personally I think you should call yours Dave because that's a great name haha.
I am calling my new spotted Clyde.

Cheers ron! i hope your two hatchlings look awesome! All the advice has been helpful and this is a great place to get info. I was cleaning up his business in the tank last night and he got awfully defensive sat up in an S shape and was rocking back n fourth at me. So i left him be and today i took the lid off so i could clean the tank properly while he was in his hide, within a couple minutes he was up on top of the tank and up on my arm, he was a bit nervous and timid to start with but within a couple minutes he was more curious then ever, i only held him for maybe 5 minutes cause i didnt want to over do it with him being new to his enclosure. im hoping this doesnt effect him in a negative way.

- - - Updated - - -

hahaha dave sounds like a great name! nearly as good as brian lol. But after last nights incident maybe he is meant to be named hiss, cause thats what he was doing when i was cleaning his tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back