Gassing live prey with CO2

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a mate that used the dry ice from his lite 'n easy meals to, there is a few different ways you can do it. But to gain an understanding of what your doing first up, the sodastream is a good way to gain experience. Self mixed methods are harder to meter.

I dunno, it sounds like there's less room for error with gassing vs whacking or cervical dislocation. I feel like I'm too much of a wimp to be able to kill the rat by hand properly, the first time. I have watched a few youtube videos of gassing rodents and it looks much less dramatic than the CD and whacks I have witnessed. Not to mention, it's probably the most legal. And if it twitches or I don't do it right, how will I know whether it's just nerves or it's still alive/in pain and needs another whack? Remember, I don't plan on feeding mice or rats because at Millie's size the rats she needs would contain a lot of fat. So I would be gassing a chicken or rabbit (if that's even advisable using the CO2 method) and they'd be a bit harder to kill with a whack first go. Cheers for the tips and science lesson Bluetongue1 :)

You're dead right sax, that's exactly what I meant. I'm looking for someone to tell me the correct method or rate to introduce the gas bringing on a fast painless death.

- - - Updated - - -

You're dead right sax, that's exactly what I meant. I'm looking for someone to tell me the correct method or rate to introduce the gas bringing on a fast painless death.

Humane CO2

It depends on who you ask. Some say pre-filling your chamber is better as it may be quicker, but it can be more painful to the animal. At tafe we used a chamber with the CO2 coming from the bottom (tube attached at the back) and the CO2 was added at a rate of 20% of the chamber volume per minute. At the zoo they put the chicks in a big plastic bin with the CO2 going in from the lid. The most important thing is to make sure the animal is definitely dead. So leaving the CO2 running an extra 30 seconds after you think it's dead is sometimes a good idea. If you haven't done this before it will be distressing. So maybe watch a video before you attempt it yourself. Hope this helps :)
I've recently started breeding my own rats as feed for my snakes and am looking for advice on the CORRECT way to humanely euthanaise my rodents,

- - - Updated - - -

Please make sure you're gassing in a well ventilated area. CO2 doesn't have a smell or anything so if you feel a bit tired while doing it go get somefresh air. Also cervical dislocation is not recommended for anything over 150gm, in case anyone is curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back