Guinea Pig As Snake Food ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marzzy

Reaction score
Hello
Just wondering what the fat content would be like on a adult guinea pig ?

Does anyone feed pigs as food ?

Cheers
Marzy

35% try google, amazing thing.

have used them from time to time but not as a regular/frequent food source

Couldn't find it on my smashed iPhone screen = /

Plus wanted to get an opinion from others...
Any reason why not as a frequent food source ?

the only thing i have to offer is that my coastal girl would not touch them, at all

High fat. Take too long to grow to a decent size,
I guess it depends on what you feeding.

That screen seems ok on APS though. Might be selective cracking lol

Couldn't find it on my smashed iPhone screen = /

Plus wanted to get an opinion from others...
Any reason why not as a frequent food source ?
Because they are too darn cute!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
There is a bit of belief that the hair of the guinea pig is too coar$e for the intestinal tract of pythons. Supposedly can lead to blockages and complications. Personally I wouldn't do it. But that's just me. Interested if others have a similar story.

They can cause an impaction in your snake but only if you feed your snake on pigs reguarly. Make sure that you check out if it is okay to feed pigs to snakes as some states they are classified as a domestic pet not a rodent and therefore are protected under the animal protection act. Some snakes that have beeen fed pigs have been said to grow alittle quicker which I would guess has something to do with the higher fat content.

High fat. Take too long to grow to a decent size,
I guess it depends on what you feeding.

That screen seems ok on APS though. Might be selective cracking lol

Dunno what you're feeding your guinea pigs but mine grow fast. 100 grams at birth, 300 grams at 3 weeks, and around 600 grams at 6 - 8 weeks old.

Main problem is that they eat way too much to be cost effective and breed way too slow

They are fat animals, but honestly, it doesn't appear bother any of my snakes.
I've been feeding 700-800 gram guineas to my Olive as a staple, along with the occasional rat or rabbit for the last year now.
If anything, she looks better than when rabbits were her staple. Much more definition.

I find them much less of a hassle to breed then rabbits.

A large percentage of my callouts are to lawn pig cages, particular to the "smorgasbord" style of cage.

Attachments

• 20130112_110755.jpg
    20130112_110755.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 103
  • 13042012051.jpg
    13042012051.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 110
  • 13042012050.jpg
    13042012050.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
How big are pigs when there are born bad is it legal to do so in Qld?

Thanks everyone for the input kind of sitting on the fence now = /

Doesn't take long for them to grow they come out a decent size and the mum breeds nearly straight again after birth, all depends on what you feed them I guess. When I was little we had 2 then 100's then the cage blew over one day and they went into the bush still had about 10 in the cage. Didn't see any of them after that snake food ? Lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back