neonate carpets have not sloughed egg skin after 6 weeks.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

J-Adams

Reaction score
Has anyone alse encountered this with their young carpet pythons?
I have a clutch of Murray Darling carpets that hatched mid December 2012 and some of the neonates have not yet sloughed their egg skins (after 6 weeks). The remaining neonates from that clutch have sloughed their egg skins and are eating well.
The neonates are kept individually in standard hatchie click-clacks and stored in a hatchie rack. The click-clacks are heated with heat cord (covering 1/3 of the click-clack), which is thermostatically controlled at 31 degrees Celsius. The substrate is paper towel and they each have a toilet roll for a hide. A water bowl is kept at the cooler end of each click-clack. Each click-clack varies in humidity throughout the day but in general, stands at around 50% humidity.
I've done some research online but I haven't encountered this problem elsewhere. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Cheers​

Same as mooseman, I had one go to 8 weeks before I assist fed and it went straight into shed. These ones that go a long time can go into shed 2 or 3 times without actually shedding.

For some reason assist/force feeding to get a bit of food into them seems to set them to shed.

You can also dampen down the substrate (paper towel?) and I put a stick or bark in to allow them to hook the slough on...I wouldn't be too worried yet though. Keep the humidity up a bit.

I dampened a paper towel like buggsy said with my MD clutch this year they all shed about 2 weeks after hatching

Mist them with a spray bottle once per day, keep them warm - they usually shed within a day if you do this - the higher the humidity the better - you should see some 'rain out' on the inside of the container. Sometimes, giving them a feed will prompt a shed too. This is what I do with my MDC babies.

I often have one in a clutch that seems to miss its first shed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back