FOXES & Public Perception

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I first moved to Melbourne I was very surprised to see foxes whilst riding my bike home at 4 am after work from the city to St Kilda. One morning I counted 4 on Ferrars/ Canterbury Rd which runs through South Melbourne & Albert Park area. A bit of research suggested that urban fox populations may be as high as 16 per square km! (source: CSIRO & Qld Govt). I still regularly see foxes along Canterbury Road but this is probably no surprise as the road runs alongside the 96 tramline which is in most parts sunken below road level and lined with vegetation, providing many places for dens/ shelter/ food...

... Not completely relevant to the OP but interesting nevertheless ;)

Research in the Bankstown area stated that there were probably around 100 foxes living in and around the shopping precinct.

Ive lost a whole lot of chooks and ducks to foxes but I personally love them and think they're beautiful animals but as always native species comes first and should be protected at all costs. If foxes are trapped and put down humanely then I see no problem with it. No animal deserves to suffer not even pests.

all feral animals should be destroyed, there is no way i would describe aussie foxes as beautiful, they are the same as cane toads, feral pigs, cats, introduced rats and mice etc, upon gutting one of these pests i once found the remains of a sand goanna (juvi) and what looked like at least two sleepy lizards, they are rotten creatures that cause damage and death. Death to all feral animals i say.

not sure why people keep saying trap them then put them down?????? i just drive around spotlighting, see them, and put a 52 grain hollow point projectile into their head....works pretty well for me

I love fox's, I think they are a beautiful animal. But they don't belong here. As everyone with a brain knows they are devastating on our native wild life. I shoot them whenever I get a chance. Fox's was one of the main reason's I bought a 223, I wanted to keep the skins, there is no skin left when you hit one with a 308. Whistling fox's is so much fun as well, great way to spend an afternoon.

We have heaps of the buggers running around our street, you see one every second night and I see one occasionally early in the morning when I leave for work. We have several weeks of interrupted sleep each year when the pluvers have their babies, because they are ground dwellers and the babies can't fly for ages the fox's come after them. Gee those pluvers make a hellavu noise. The funny side is watching the missus chase the fox's down the street in her nighty and dressing gown.

I loved the photo and story on the carpet eating the fox. I would have thought the fox looked to big a meal for the carpet, obviously not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back