Fancy having your day ruined?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes you can. And yes, I have. Mainly because none of them leave the yard and I watch them from the windows. And yes, I admit, they have occasionally caught a skink or a gecko. But they've never killed them, only brought them to me still alive. Except for the geckos in the house. The cats know they are allowed to kill them, unless they're in an enclosure.

- - - Updated - - -

How exactly DO you train a cat not to kill?

From kitten hood, make sure they wear a bell and as they get older, any stalking behavior, you tell them off. I think it helps that I own birds, reptiles and mice. They know not to go near them inside, and don't go near them outside either.

- - - Updated - - -

To the poor deluded owner of the 6 wildlife friendly cats all I can say is Hahahahahahahahaha :lol:

I'll give you one of them for a month and they'll prove it. another reaon I know for sure is because they're too scared of anything that moves out of the house that they'd be terrified to go near anything edible.

- - - Updated - - -

come on , seriously ? if it comes down to things like i put the dogs their in the first place then ill start blaming the bluetongue after all he was on my land in the first place

but no i dont blame the bluetongue , i dont blame myself and i dont entirely blame my dog , she is just doing what is wired into her breed , like i said its an unfortunate set of circumstances

Now that I 100% agree with. Let's just leave it at that. Unfortunate set of circumstances, and all we can do is minimize the damage as much as possible.

Last edited:
I'm not even going to bother

i feel ya pain mate, some people amaze me!!!! honestly 6 cats never killed any native wildlife....but has caught some geckos and skinks BUT has never killed them whilst outside but is allowed to kill the ones inside.....SSHHHEESSHHH. i have a dogs that hunts pigs she doesnt care if they are feral black ones or 150kg large white ones in a pen she wants to catch them all

Sel;2310169t.. i cant even bring myself to try Kanga Bangas..lol[/QUOTE said:
Just do a little bit of investigation
Roo meat is much better healthwise than nearly any other meat
roos are padded animals so they dont damage the environment like sheep cattle goats horses etc do
because of the way they graze they cannot denude any area of all growth the way sheep cattle etc etc do

So environmentally roos would be a much better choice for any farm
but only when people will buy enough

1200 hunters so far have managed to get 37 burmese

roos are padded animals so they dont damage the environment like sheep cattle goats horses etc do
because of the way they graze they cannot denude any area of all growth the way sheep cattle etc etc do

plenty of roo meat being processed in australia every day. when i was living in nsw i used to shoot for a chiller with a mate, we would shoot 55-60 roos a night an there were numerous roo shooters in the area, 2x40 foot refrigerated containers were emptied every week an that was only one buyer in that town, most roo meat goes over seas

Oh yes, i already know they are better for you than any other meat.. they have barely any fat.
I don't know what it is,,no different to pork sausages..but i just cannot eat them. Maybe one day..

Oh yes, i already know they are better for you than any other meat.. they have barely any fat.
I don't know what it is,,no different to pork sausages..but i just cannot eat them. Maybe one day..

dont worry, your not the only one. i could NEVER bring myself to eating one of those cuties even if i did eat meat(im vegaterian) or any native animals, im just against the eating and huntimg of them, RIP millions of roos killed each year

introduced pests and other animals(pigs, cane toads, carp,ect) doing harm to the enviroment and threatening natives are a no no and dont mind them being killed and controled, but not natives just doing their thing and not doing any harm(kangaroos)

Last edited:
Ok cat issue I have had two bells on my cat wired in different places! Was brought up with birds sprayed with water when looked at them. Feed everyday with biscuits on hand all day long (obesse on vet opinion) but still chases magpies and yesterday was lining up my sons silkies so I wet with hose turned my back to set up her cage and she had a blue tongue I generally have her locked up but the heat has been horrible! I can guarantee all natives are safe now! IMO cats can't be be trained.

im just against the eating and huntimg of them, RIP millions of roos killed each year

but not natives just doing their thing and not doing any harm(kangaroos)

You need to do some research. Kangaroos are so overpopulated they decimate grasslands and risk starvation amongst themselves. There is a very good reason there is legalised kangaroo culling.

Also if people ate more roo meat there would be less demand for introduced animals such as cattle, sheep, pig, etc who do a lot of damage to our environment. Plus then their death would have two purposes, to control their populations and to be consumed. Sounds like a win, win to me.

Same thing could be said for our feral camel populations.

if you replace the word "day" with "thread " in the threads tittle then its actually rather fitting and a little amusing :) dont worry i know ive contributed as well

what was the initial topic , something about snakes wasn't it

I wasn't specifically responding to your post redfox, more to Pauls_Pythons question. I agree wholeheartedly with both of you, that as pet owners, the actions of our pets are our responsibility. If a pet kills an animal, the responsibility for that lies squarely on the owner, which is why responsible pet owners keep their pets contained, whatever species they are. My point was that just because I am a crazy dog lady, and have several times gone to great lengths to protect dogs (like stopping traffic on a main road in peak hour to rescue a loose SWF), does not mean I would get up in arms about people shooting feral dogs.

Maybe you miss understood my point. Animals do not need to be feral to be a problem......ALL non natives that can potentially kill native animals are a problem and this includes every cat and dog in Australia, not just the feral ones. However, the government permits the importation of thousands of these NON natives every year but will not allow aussie reptile breeders to Import or EXPORT.
I don't see anything wrong in controlling a pest but I do think it might be a good idea to have 1 rule for all not as it is now.

We as Australian may not eat a lot of roo meat but it is processed here and shipped over seas for human consumption so it's still win win! I only buy Bonnies dog food as it is made from roo meat processed in Aus. Roos can't be farmed due to their stressing easily and if you seen the worms that stand up and look Argo while gutting them you would stick with cattle.

Why is it the majority of threads I post on recently turn into threads about farming and meat consumption? :facepalm:

Cats will kill. Regardless of "training". A bell, even put on with the best intentions, does nothing. If it does anything it only serves to teach a cat how to move silently. Yes, I've seen it, a cat with two bells learning to move without them ringing. Then once the cat eventually works out how to get the bells off, they are even more effective. They move even less. Cats can learn to kill more efficiently, but you will never truly teach a cat not to kill. No matter how much you tell yourself you have.

Cats should be kept inside. There are plenty of companies out there that will provide appropriate enclosures for cats to be "outside" but be safe.
This is to keep our wildlife safe and our precious cats safe, at work we see at least two cats a week injured by car/dog or humans. It can be heart retching to see a previously fit, healthy cat euthanised, due to inoperable/fatal conditions that could of been prevented by being responsible and keeping your cat inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a crazy cat lady and all three of my cats are inside only cats. Not only for their safety but also because I know for a fact they would love to get their mits on the birds that frequent our yard. I know this because they watch them from the windows and chirp because they are all worked up about it!

To the person who said you have trained your cats, you are full of crap. That's not possible. Cats do whatever the hell they want at all times and you can't stop natural instinct. They are born killers and as much as I love them, that will never change.

To akarsha, couldn't agree more:). Cats although will obey some training/instruction, will always revert to their natural instincts.
I have two cats, and both of them would like nothing more than to eat some wildlife.
They have a full house to play in, multiple toys, scratch poles, a dog to torture, tunnels and soft beds, yeah they are ok;)
I also don't want my cats exposed to feline aids.
Well that's my two cents:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have exactly the same opinion. I do have a leash and harness and will take them for walks in the backyard at times and when we finally get out of the renting market ill be building an outdoor enclosure but until then they are staying put!

I'm a crazy cat lady and all three of my cats are inside only cats. Not only for their safety but also because I know for a fact they would love to get their mits on the birds that frequent our yard. I know this because they watch them from the windows and chirp because they are all worked up about it!

To the person who said you have trained your cats, you are full of crap. That's not possible. Cats do whatever the hell they want at all times and you can't stop natural instinct. They are born killers and as much as I love them, that will never change.

I'd like this more than once if possible. Nice to see a cat lover with brains, seems to be a rare sort. Cats do what cats do, its up to the owners to keep them under control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back