How long must you keep a snake?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rob8290

Before I say anything I would just like to make it clear that I do not plan to get rid of my snake just after getting it so certain people don't rage that I should've been certain before I got one and I shouldn't put it through the stress etc etc etc. this is for pure curiosity purposes. I am just curiouse of how long you must keep a snake after acquiring it before you are able to sell it again. I've had many different responses so does anyone know how long it is? One of my mates seem to think you don't need to wait a set time but I was always under the impression you must wait 6 months. Cheers

I know in Victoria you must wait 6 months before selling, that's with a basic wildlife licence.
Which state are you in?

It is 6 months in South Australia also, Liked Snapped asked what state are you in? Makes it easier if people have that sort of info, saves reading through 50 posts that don't apply to your state aswell.

Well I'm from QLD so I guess it must be 6 months everywhere but that's odd because he said he had a snake for around 3 half months and he sold it as he had to move and had no troubles..maybe they don't check? That's what confused me because I was positive it was six months aswell.

Maybe he got permission from the department as he was moving or maybe they fudged the dates in their records.

As long as it is. You cant just keep a part of it.

If you dont want to keep snakes anymore or you are unable to look after it adequately then just enquire with your local authority.

It's 6 months in qld but I know of a few cases where people have sold before six months with out asking for permission and there was no problems

I live in QLD but when I lived in NSW I sold a python off, 5 months after acquiring it and received a warning form NSWPWS. But I know of plenty of people who did similar with no consequences, I was just the person they noticed....

The general rule Australia wide seems to be 6mths unless there are extrenuating circumastances. I made a mistake is not a good enough excuse as Slytherin00 found out as he posted that Qld DPS hit him with a $500 fine for passing on his Jungle after a week.

sa is 6 months unless you have bred them yourself, then there is no time limit

Fair point Maddog but I don't think any state expects their breeders to keep snakes any longer than necessay before selling them.

Yeah I thought it was six months. In m opinion it's not a bad law. Cheers for the feed back everyone..it also stops people buying snakes cheaper and selling them off at a higher price right after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back