Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have being tagged twice since I have had snakes. Both times were completely my fault. First one I was cleaning the enclosure and though my 3year old woma was in his hide. He was under the substrate and got scared so he bit me. The second time I was feeding my new woma hatchy his mouse when he missed and grabbed my finger. We all make mistakes. It's how we learn.

ha, I've owned snakes for a year and haven't got tagged yet :D Even all my hatchies have been rather docile :) Guess I'm lucky?
your time will come :), i was the same , made it to a year with out getting a proper bite only headbutts from my coastal , then one night i reached in to get my male woma out to show a few mates that hadnt seen one and he just latched on out of no where and coiled , since then his gotten me once more same thing but in the early morning

My woma(~3months old) latched on and coiled a few times recently(obviously hungry)...very tough to get her off ;)

IMG_1973 (Large).jpgIMG_1996 (Large).jpg

Upgraded her to fuzzy rats last 3 weeks, but obviously she needs more :)

yeah, has happened to me twice now, same finger too :x I keep forgetting Friday is food day....

MlwkYzs.jpg

ExzhlO1.jpg

although, mines tiny compared to your's! :oops:

whats the best way to get them off when they have bitten? I flicked luke warm water at her and she backed of enough. I've read that you can also detach them slowly by starting at the tail but im unsure how effective that is.
note: she has a vivarium being built for as we speak, so she'll be out of that tub shortly.

I just run them under cold water if they won't let go.

Feed them in their enclosure. Much easier. All mine get fed in their enclosure, I just make sure to use a hook to get them out to save me any silly bites.

That spotted python isn't mine. The fuzzie eater is about 60-70cm long. Just over a year old jungle.
my jungle was on medium rats every week......Plz listen to all the advise people r giving u......feeding outside an enclosure is not needed as u always run the risk of a food bite trying to get them back in.....Hell is i tried to feed 1 large rat to my 2.2M bredli then tried to put him back in enclose he would deff try to eat me....and my Bredli is the best handler.......U NEED TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN HANDLING AND FEEDING .....it can be a very fine line

We sneak their dinner into their enclosure when they're not looking. Neither of us has been tagged because there is no association with us and food. It just magically appears ha ha.

I would bite people if they kept me in a clik clak.

your time will come :), i was the same , made it to a year with out getting a proper bite only headbutts from my coastal , then one night i reached in to get my male woma out to show a few mates that hadnt seen one and he just latched on out of no where and coiled , since then his gotten me once more same thing but in the early morning
i trust both of my big carpets (Bredli and Jungle) but still use a hook in enclosure to get them in good position for me to handle............only been biten once in my life yrs ago and as Longi states it was my fault (dropped rat while someone talking to me)...lol...bam!!!!!!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Going to add my 2 cents worth
I dont own a snake at present, but im babysitting one, two things ive noticed when putting your hand inside keep your fist closed as fingers may look like food, and when im feeding him inside the tank i use chop sticks, he has looked liked he has wanted to go my fingers but this has saved me so far.
This thread will be a good learning curve for u also

I just run them under cold water if they won't let go.

Yep, this is the only way I can get my woma to let go.

- - - Updated - - -

whats the best way to get them off when they have bitten? I flicked luke warm water at her and she backed of enough. I've read that you can also detach them slowly by starting at the tail but im unsure how effective that is.

As mentioned..tap, cold water...has worked for me....grab them behind the head so they dont latch on again ;)

Ive only ever been bitten by my Antaresia.. which is no big deal..
Unfortunately for me, the next snake to bite me is either going to be a big python or something Venomous.. im hoping it doesn't happen for awhile..lol

Just a few facts as advice

Fact 1; You dont need to feed snakes out of their enclosures
Fact 2; If your snake is biting and wrapping it is hungry
That is called a feeding response bite
No good for you or the snakes
Easy fixed by feeding it more
Fact 3;Its NOT part of owning snakes to get bitten
If bitten it means you made a mistake
Thats the only thing getting bitten means

Enjoy

If you want dog tame snakes read on....

As we all know Pythons are opportunistic feeders and not very bright, do they even feel hungry? iv been keeping and breeding for while and iv found the best way to get dog tame snakes is to 1. Handle as often as possible. 2. Feeding out side of the enclosure (this just reduces the amount of scent in the enclosure which would be the main thing that will stop events like the one in the photo above. Food was obviously on its mind if it coiled 2. Stop dangling the food item in front of the snake incouraging it to coiling and then continue to tug on the food item for a few seconds and 3. Let the snake settle into a second click clack wait for it to enter its hide and for its head to be hidden (not with its head out looking at you) and then just place the food item in the click clack letting the snake eat it in its own time.

Eventually the snake will relise it's foods not movin and will slowly opening its mouth without coiling. Iv done this many times and I'd say about 95% of animals become dog tame for me when I turn my attention to them (pets not breeders etc or something I'm feeding up I want to be less likely to bite when it's 8ft long etc.)

Iv never had my snakes coil me in 13 years of keeping, if this happends your doing something wrong. you need to read your snakes body language and keep track of its head at all times, iv been bitten heaps of times but that's what snakes do and it is apart of keeping. I beleive I could tame any water python, scrub python etc to be very calm. Iv tamed jungles that were a nightmare, but with useing a hook and then eventually working my way up to free handling, calming the snake they eventually get dog tame....

You need to send multiple msgs to the snake so it knows its not feeding time when your in the equation.

I havnt delt with any retics etc so Im not sure if they'll take to my methods aswell as the Morelia, lasis etc iv delt with in the past. But feeding out side the enclosure is going to reduce the water comeing off the food and the scent from the food item so I don't why you think it wouldn't benifit the snake......

And why is the snake on sand? If it were to rest it's head on the sand and inhale a few granules then what? I know ants live on sand but you want to eliminate possible problems, replace it for paper towl or newspaper would be my advice and learn how to read your snakes.

Last edited:
Lol, I just got my first tag from my pygmy python last night. I have had her for about 2 yrs now, since she was a hatchie. It surprised me enough that I didnt get a photo. She was very hungry and went for the food and accidentally got my finger instead. Poor baby wouldnt take her food till I put it on the floor and left. Wish I had gotten pics to share now.

IceWhiteFreak have you ever kept scrubbies? the reason they have such a bad rep in captivity is people handle them as often as they can when their a juvenile, much the same as lace monitors

There is some fantastic advice on here but there is also advice that contradicts the good stuff, its your job to decide for yourself what works for you but my bit of advice is this...........If what you are doing now isn't working but you keep doing the same things I think its only fair to expect the same result.
Feeding outside the vivarium is in my opinion a total crock.
In the many years of keeping snakes including some rather large ones I have never resorted to this and never will.
If your animal is coiling on you its probably still hungry or at least thinks it is.
While I do not have the opinion that any snake should be considered tame I do think that most can feel secure enough so they do not bite out of fear. Feed time is different and if you put your hands in front of the animal during or shortly after a feed you can expect that at some time you are likely to be on the receiving end.

scrubs compared to your carpets and ants are a very nervous snake, handling them as often as you can whilst their young creates a fear they dont shake when they reach a decent size, as for elapids sure a fairly placid un nervous species like red bellies or any of the pseudechis can become relaxed enough to free handle if you can read them well enough, try it with a flighty species like the browns though or a hoplo you'd find its a whole other ball game, each species is different and should be treated different and handling something as often as you can while its young you will find can actually cause the opposite effect

What is this "dog tame" thing you keep talking about?

Have you ever encountered a really angry, BIG, python?

I don't understand what your perception of "dog tame" is. Walking it on a leash, getting it to sit, fetch? Sorry don't get it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mate, what I do works for me. If it didn't work I would take on board the opinions of others whom I respect and consider a course of action.
My first snake was a burm many years ago. I would love to see you feeding that out of the enclosure and then trying to put it back.

I'm not goin to play 20 questions mate, snakes arnt really tame at all, they just tolerate it all. But dog tame is a little term for snake that tolerates alot and won't bite some thing you would be familiar with, if doing everything you needed to like feedin out side of enclosures etc it just reduces the risks of getting wrapped up for eg.

How about we all take chill pills

OP has plenty of reasonable information now
No need to get too carried away

- - - Updated - - -

Ive only ever been bitten by my Antaresia.. which is no big deal..
Unfortunately for me, the next snake to bite me is either going to be a big python or something Venomous.. im hoping it doesn't happen for awhile..lol

Sel you will notice about ven keepers
They very very rarely get tagged
So when you are ready for vens you will have a similar outcome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back