Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i was under the impression that it was illegal to cross these species? i know diamond and coastals inter breed in certain areas where their natural habitats cross over but diamond/bredli or diamond/jungle? ive read and been told on so many occasions that this is illegal, and i definitely think it should be. Could someone please clarify the law here?
That's my understanding too. Deliberately cross-breeding hybrids is generally illegal in most states, however in the case of Morelia spilota some people justify cross-breeding the various subspecies of Morelia spilota by arguing that they are not distinct enough to be considered hybrids. Technically they're all considered one species i.e Morelia spilota, so they're not interspecific hybrids. However most people respect regionally distinct subspecies integrity and consider these to be intraspecific hybrids.

Last edited:
That's my understanding too. Deliberately cross-breeding hybrids is generally illegal in most states, however in the case of Morelia spilota some people justify cross-breeding the various subspecies of Morelia spilota by arguing that they are not distinct enough to be considered hybrids. Technically they're all considered one species i.e Morelia spilota, so they're not interspecific hybrids. However most people respect regionally distinct subspecies integrity and consider these to be intraspecific hybrids.

wow, salutations.
I have moderated forums before and been an admin to a certain degree.
it's great to see this forum has intelligent well written staff.

I know myself that it's a pretty rewardless usually unpaid job where your damned if you do damned if you don't in most situations.

so I'd like to say thanks as I for one appreciate it. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks very much for your kind words Lochie. It's much appreciated.

Here is my yearling 50% Tiger Jungle x Striped Intergrade, Expecting a shed and is a bit milky not fully highlighting the dark black outlines and rich browns.

041.jpg

Bushman. Would I be correct in saying then that crossing a Bredli with any of the other carpets WOULD be interspecific hybridisation as the Bredli is not a spilota but a sub-species in it's own right? Just curious. Thanks.

Some latest pics..Caramel darwin het and tiger jag.

Attachments

• zzzzzcarameldarwinhetgirl012.jpg
    zzzzzcarameldarwinhetgirl012.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 190
  • zzztigerjagfemale007.jpg
    zzztigerjagfemale007.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
7a2ynudu.jpg

u8y3y2ev.jpg

Gotta be happy with them, Col.

Some latest pics..Caramel darwin het and tiger jag.

That Caramel of yours looks very similar to a Caramel that I have kept back. Mine has no Darwin in it and is pure Coastal however.

- - - Updated - - -

Bushman. Would I be correct in saying then that crossing a Bredli with any of the other carpets WOULD be interspecific hybridisation as the Bredli is not a spilota but a sub-species in it's own right? Just curious. Thanks.

Thats correct. Common scientific agreement is that there is only three distinct carpets in Australia. Bredlis, Imbricata and everything else. So the law in places like SA for instance will not prosecute you if you breed a Jungle to a MD, but will if you breed a Jag to a Bredli.

Attachments

• hypo.jpg
    hypo.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:

Attachments

• IMG_6994.jpg
    IMG_6994.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_6996.jpg
    IMG_6996.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 146