Skin tear on corn Snake PLEASE HELP

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinLara

Reaction score
So i just got my corn snake a new 40 gallon, but non of the pet stores around me carry screens or tops for the tank, so im trying to find one online, but until then i needed something to close the tank so I made a makeshift screen out of some kind of metal mesh, so after i placed it on her tank i put about 5 pounds of weight on it (so she wouldnt be able to push the top off and free her self, but she managed to do it anyway) so tonight when I got home, I noticed she was trying to get out, and in doing so, her head had gotten caught in the corner of the mesh, and tore some skin on her neck. I feel terrible, and i dont have any kind of special reptile antiseptic, just some cream and ointment i use for minor scrape, cuts, and burns. shes full grown, and had just eaten a few hours ago, and i think shes going to shed within the next week. The tear is about 1/2 an inch, i can see flesh, i have no idea what to do PLEASE HELP US. Im going to take her to the vet first thing in the morning, but for now i dont know what to do with her
2013-02-04_04-10-17_74.jpg2013-02-04_03-35-48_647.jpg2013-02-04_04-04-35_103.jpg

Clean the area with betadine, keep in in a warm enclosure without ANY substrate and with a proper bloody lid!, use clean paper towel or butchers paper. All the vet will do is disinfect, prescribe an antiseptic (might not be necessary). From the photos it may need stitches/may not but the main thing is to keep it dry and warm, 34 degree warm spot at least

Where are you located?

Knock up a square wooden frame out of wood and sturdly attach fly wire around the top ensuring their are no gaps it can squeeze out of. If need be put some weights on the corner to hold it down. Defently get rid of the metal.

Ouch, that looks really nasty... I can only suggest a betadine solution to try to minimise any infection and maybe try to bring the skin flap back over to where it should be and a light amount of non toxic tape running lengthwise to hold the flap in place until a vet can have a look and decide what to do, don't tape around the snake like you would your own finger, more like down the side, like a splint if that makes sense.... Either way, there's gonna be some nasty scarring and could be a problem with shedding for a while...

a light amount of non toxic tape running lengthwise to hold the flap in place until a vet can have a look and decide what to do, don't tape around the snake like you would your own finger, more like down the side, like a splint if that makes sense....

DO NOT DO THIS, this will cause more damage to your snake!

When you attempt to remove the tape the scales will come right off with it!

ouch, poor snake. definatly clean it with betadin and put her in a click clack or large kitchen plastic container with holes in it till you see a vet. buy a proper enclosure, a vet bill is more expensive than an enclosure most of the time.

The only reason I said that was because I had a diamond slice itself on a small knot on a branch and the vet did that, and was told to leave it on until slough.... It held it together and had minimal scarring... Only my experience though...

In located in brentwood (bay area) and it 5:43 am so everything is closed and non of the safeways carry betadine

As long as its dry, no chance of hurting itself again and there is heat, it will be fine until you get it to a vet! Good luck

Probably best to just let it be for the mean time then. Chuck it in an old pillowcase or similar for now somewhere so it can't get into any more mistcheif, somewhere quiet and dark and the vets will be open for you soon enough.

thank you so much everyone. This all helped A LOT. I'll keep you updated on her condition.

I live in the Bay Area aswell. If you haven't found any betadine I can give you some. If you need any help of assistance ill be more then happy to help. Shoot me a p.m if you like. Welcome to the forum by the way.

Regards, Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back