How much vermulite

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Designer

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi I am getting my tub ready and want to know how much vermulite / water to use in a tub about the size of an ice cream container ? I know it's say a 50/5o mix just wanted to know how much to use. Was thinking of putting the plastic grating on top then the eggs on top of that ? With a few holes in the container , any help would be appreciated

Well if it were me I'd use perlite. Just a preference. Not sure about vermiculite but for perlite go a water to perlite ratio of 0.8:1 Sometime with too much water problems can occur.
Sorry this wasn't all that much help as I don't know if it's the same as vermiculite or if you'd use a 50:50 ratio? dunno bout that sorry.

- - - Updated - - -

Bottom of page 110 on the "shoe us ya woma's" thread has deebo's incubator. top of page 111 he describes it if you're interested. it uses a grate over perlite.

I got taught to go off feel, not a set ratio. You dont want it too wet, and the way I've made mine, its moist, but still crumbles in your hands, not like (sloppy) mud. I'm not the greatest at explaining it. But it works very well for me and the people who taught me.
I'm pretty sure (although never bothered to try/make it myself) I got told that 50/50 mix is actually pretty wet, or atleast a lot wetter than the consistency I was taught to make mine.

Not sure if thats helpful enough, sorry lol.

Use just enough water so it compresses together when you pick some up and squeeze it in your hands but you don'd need much at all what eggs are you incubating?

Caleb.

What the hell is vermulite?
I use a 50:50 mix of vermiculite and water.

vermiculite 50:50 is what i was told by a breeder when i asked him what he uses and he breeds 100's of lizards aha :D

50:50 mix of vermiculite and water by weight not volume.
1 litre of water (approximately) = 1000 grams

use that as a rough guide with equal weight of water and vermiculite. this usually makes a nice crumbly mix. I prefer to use grade 3 vermiculite that is much coarser that the fine grade 1 thats usually sold in packets in places like Bunnings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back