need some advice...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex72

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

I was recently tagged and wrapped by my children's python. (I posted photo's in that thread that is now closed). since then I have offered her mice but she does not seem interested in them at all. I'm afraid to get her out again just in case she decides she thinks im food again.

she moves around her cage a fair bit and 'follows me' when im around her. I just recently moved houses and before I moved she had a shed and moved up a food size. it had been 7 days after she moved up food size that she bit and wrapped my finger.

Am I doing anything wrong? should I leave her for say a week then offer her another mouse? should I attempt to handle her (I reckon she'll try to wrap around my finger again...)

she's only a small snake, roughly one year old.

any advice?

note: after I moved houses I had her out constantly and she was fine, until she bit me of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my MDs bit me out of no where... Nine months without so much as a hint of her wanting to have a go.

I put it down to that she was just overly hungry. At the time I had to feed her smaller meals as the pet shop was out of bigger ones.
Or that I was fiddling around in my Jungles enclosure before hand and something from in there must have set her off.

I'd say leave your Childrens for a week or so and let it settle into it's new surroundings.
The move probably stirred her up a fair bit... But then again, when I moved I only left my Snakes for two days and they all fed fine.

Either way, leave her for a week and then try her on an appropriately sized meal.
Is she normally a good feeder?

normally destroys her food :/ she doesn't seem interested at all atm..

Here's a few options:

1) Have you tried Rats?
2) Dipping the Mouse in a tin of Tuna. (That's how I got one of my problem feeders interested in food again.)
3) Dipping it in Chicken stock.
4) Putting the Mouse in an air tight bag with a Quail and letting it thaw out as needed (minus it's neck so the juices/blood from the Quail soak the Mouse). This method sometimes backfires and turns Snakes off anything but Quail (or Quail scented) meals though.

Hope this becomes of some help.

what temps are keeping her at? when they bite and constrict it is usually a food response bite meanin shes hungry did you recently change the rodents?

I've recently bought a pack of pisces frozen mice but she hasn't taken one that I've offered her. I recently went to townsville for a week and during that week she might have eaten a baby spoggy bird (the people taking care of her own a childrens python and also live on a farm where spoggies breed rapidly) and was thinking she might be off mice and would rather spoggies now... I've held her twice in the week and she doesn't seem aggressive as such but I tried to give her as little chance to bite and wrap as possible. its been 2 weeks since her last feed, I have yet to try the methods mentioned above hoping that it was just our little disagreement before that she'd start eating but I dont think this is the case. although I think she was on a different type of mice before the pisces as well, so I might buy them and see if they work. how long without a feed before I should be getting worried? cause im worried now haha :/

:) she just ate without having to dip in tuna/chicken stock ect. pretty stoked :D

Are you asking about her feeds or asking advice about being scared?
If it's the latter you should man up a bit, pretty sure the bite didn't hurt?
If you are nervous that will effect the way she behaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back