High traffic areas and stress

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotter

Reaction score
Hi all

Bought my first spotted python 2 weeks ago , I keep him in a small Tupperware container with a water bowl and a few hiding spots . He ate his first meal last week , however I have been trying to feed him the last few days and he is not interested.the floors in the house are wooden so they do conduct alot of noise and he is in my room which is next to the front door so it's a high movement area. He handles pretty good and hasn't bitten me yet , but would all this movement be causing it to stress out ? I run a 50 watt light with a thermostat set at 30 degrees at one end , so it cuts in and out all day until 6 at night when I turn it off , all help appreciated .
Cheers

All our guys are in a high traffic area and they're all fine. They're used to it.

Cheers mate , would my best bet be to try feed him every day until he eats ?

I'd say its stressed due to handling IMO. leave it alone for a week then try feeding. I'm sure you would be stressed if a giant hand kept grabbing you. Its only a hatchling so everything's scary for the wee one

How old is it? Someone please correct me if i'm wrong but i thought that young pythons should be getting 24/7 heat for the first year?

How old is it? Someone please correct me if i'm wrong but i thought that young pythons should be getting 24/7 heat for the first year?

If someone could clarify this it be great..

Cause I got a 8month old spotty and it doesn't have a seat source atm (turned it off mid Dec) cause its 32-34 degrees in there without a heat source. I read thats ideal temp for a spotted. He has his UV light on and thats it.

Hi all

Bought my first spotted python 2 weeks ago , I keep him in a small Tupperware container with a water bowl and a few hiding spots . He ate his first meal last week , however I have been trying to feed him the last few days and he is not interested.the floors in the house are wooden so they do conduct alot of noise and he is in my room which is next to the front door so it's a high movement area. He handles pretty good and hasn't bitten me yet , but would all this movement be causing it to stress out ? I run a 50 watt light with a thermostat set at 30 degrees at one end , so it cuts in and out all day until 6 at night when I turn it off , all help appreciated .
Cheers

Im not an expert, but I was told (and it seems to be the general opinion on here) that hatchies need heat 24/7, so if your spotted is in a container, just set up a heat mat on a thermostat (not sure how you have a globe setup in a Tupperware container) and put the tub so that one third is heated to 30-32, make sure he has a hide in the cool end and one in the warm end, and leave him alone for 2 weeks, no handling, just change his water every 2nd day.
You can also cover his container/tub on 3 sides so he feels secure.
this way, he will feel secure and get used to his new place, and get used to the new smells. :)

He might not be eating because of the lack of heat, and/or stress of settling into a new home, just give him time (and heat :p)

If someone could clarify this it be great..

Cause I got a 8month old spotty and it doesn't have a seat source atm (turned it off mid Dec) cause its 32-34 degrees in there without a heat source. I read thats ideal temp for a spotted. He has his UV light on and thats it.

Your house must be hot? Are you measuring the temperature with a thermometer, or is that from the UV light?
Just a heads up, snakes don't need a UV light, save yourself the money and just buy a normal light globe if you want light.

Ditch the globe and get a small heat mat or cord and put it under 1/3 of your tub. The light cycling on and off would be more of a stress than the noise. IMO

Your house must be hot? Are you measuring the temperature with a thermometer, or is that from the UV light?
Just a heads up, snakes don't need a UV light, save yourself the money and just buy a normal light globe if you want light.

Yeah it's a very hot house. On hot days I have the fun running in his room which brings his temp down to 30. Measured with a digital thermostat.

Yeah I found that out after I bought the uv. Back then i thought pet shops knew what they were talking about. Oh how I was wrong lol. Oh well, I'll use it on my beardies cage when I get one.

Hi all

Cheers
A 50 watt globe sounds too big for a tupperware container. It will be turning on and off fequently and burn out the globe or the thermstat. If the thermostat breaks you'll be sure to cook your pet. A smaller globe should be adequate or better still a heat mat.

Yeah it's a very hot house. On hot days I have the fun running in his room which brings his temp down to 30. Measured with a digital thermostat.

Yeah I found that out after I bought the uv. Back then i thought pet shops knew what they were talking about. Oh how I was wrong lol. Oh well, I'll use it on my beardies cage when I get one.

Yep, not all pet shops know what they are talking about, LOL.

Id ditch any globe because you'd likely cook your snake, plus there is probably no cooler end, how big is the tub your using? You can pick up fairly cheap heat mats on EBay, (plenty of recommendations on here if you search the threads)....just use with a thermostat and remember to have a gap between heat mat and the tub....have you put air holes in your tupperware container?

Last edited:
Cheers for the replies guys , I have placed a heat mate under 1/3rd of the container and it is set too 31 degrees on the thermostat.

Don't try and feed it every day until it eats. Wait a week or 2 then try

Will do , even tho it hasn't fed for a week and a half already ?

Snakes can and do go without feeding for months at a time. Now you've got your heating sorted wait a while to let him settle down then offer a feed. If he won't strike and take it leave it in the container on the heat mat side and check after a couple of hours. If its still there throw it away and try a couple of days later. If it still not feeding do a search on here for " my snake won't eat" threads, there is lots of good tips to get them started again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back