what to do now?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saintanger

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
so there is a guy that lives down the road and gets kids and teens in the street to go and catch geckos, dragons and pythons from the bush for him and pays them $5 - $20 depending on what they get him, the kids told me he then sells them to other people. he also keeps exotics and doesn't care for them properly and they have escaped a few times. a few weeks ago his corn snake got out he told a few teens to look around his house for it and who ever found it could have a barking gecko for free. well a friend of mines daughter found it and returned it to him and he told her to come back and get the gecko in a week. i told her not to to get a licence and get a captive breed one. any way she went back and he told her the gecko escaped and his misses found it in the sink dead after she did the dishes with hot water. and told the girl to come back the following week. she went back and he gave her 2 geckos and said they were barking geckos. anyway the day she got them she came up to show me. they were not barking geckos, they were stone geckos and one had a tick on it. in the animals best interest i removed the tick but took a few photos incase i ever need the evidence.

she then took the geckos back to him and told him they were not barking geckos and that one had a tick and that i removed it for her. he told her it was not a tick and that i removed its gland. lol

other neighbours have called DEC and RSPCA multiple times and nothings been done. i don't care that he keeps exotics, its the fact that no reptile has a heat source, the amount of escapes especially exotics and the poaching.

IMG_0792 (3) (400x353).jpgIMG_0793 (400x341).jpg

this is the poor gecko

is there any other organisation i can call to do something about it?

I would get in touch with DEC again or your relevant wildlife authority in NSW.

Emphasise the fact that he is poaching native reptiles, and keeping exotics which have escaped multiple times.

i have never actually called but my neighbour and good friend did he called DEC infront of me and they took down the details and said they'd pass it on to the person incharge but that was 2 months ago.

maybe someone needs to tell a little porky and tell them you have been given information that he is smuggling them out of oz, i betcha that would galvanize them into action..................Ron

report him and do it in writing. a proper letter mean it has to be filed and dealt with particularly by government organizations

You can also make it a ministerial... you contact your local member of parliment and report it to them, in writing by email, aswell as to the DEC pointing out that it has been reported on before but no action seems to have been taken. The local member will then send a 'please explain' to the DEC and they must respond to the member with an action within 2 working weeks. I had issue with Country Energy and my brother-in-law who orks for Energex told me about it, within three days I had a rep from the company establishing what my grievence was and the problem was fixed within two weeks. They weren't happy about it and tried to buck pass but it did them no good. Apparently ministerials are taken VERY seriously and come wolloping down from high in the food chain. :)

Go over their heads. Straight to the top. Thats right, A Current Affair. I would even watch that episode just to see them beat it up into a killer snakes story.

You can also make it a ministerial... you contact your local member of parliment and report it to them, in writing by email, aswell as to the DEC pointing out that it has been reported on before but no action seems to have been taken. The local member will then send a 'please explain' to the DEC and they must respond to the member with an action within 2 working weeks. I had issue with Country Energy and my brother-in-law who orks for Energex told me about it, within three days I had a rep from the company establishing what my grievence was and the problem was fixed within two weeks. They weren't happy about it and tried to buck pass but it did them no good. Apparently ministerials are taken VERY seriously and come wolloping down from high in the food chain. :)

Didn't know this Gruni! cheers for the info mate, ill remember this one :)

Go over their heads. Straight to the top. Thats right, A Current Affair. I would even watch that episode just to see them beat it up into a killer snakes story.

I'd watch that and I bet that WILL catch the attention of the RSPCA and DEC, especially if you mention that no action has been taken after constant reports ;) Should make them lift their game :?

have you tried the cops. call them and tell them that he has exotic reptiles and is paying the kids to catch natives and then selling them on the black market

yes a police report was made 6 weeks ago by another peeved neighbour and nothing has happened. i will be ringing DEC tomorrow and if nothing is done then on monday i will have to have a chat to the local MP. thanks guys didn't know the MP could help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back