Spider ID

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

duz10z

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I found this spider at work last night and I have never seen one like this before just wondering if anyone on here knows what it is?

spider_zps110311aa.jpg

Looks like some sort of wolf spider (Lycosidae family)

Last edited:
It's easy to say Wolf Spider. Could we please explain why it's a wolf spider and not a large jumping spider?

Yeah, sure... have a guy who lives nearby and works as a spider expert at the Australian Museum. Though they are usually grey/brown, the easiest way to ID a Wolf Spider is that they often have radiating line markings on the carapace (front of the body) and scroll-like patterns on the abdomen. That seems to match the photo we have from duz10z. Evidently Wolf Spider's eyes glow in the dark too, but probably a bit late to try that now. :D

Thanks guys, I havent actually seen one of these before we only usually get red backs and huntsmans. How big do they usually get? This one was about 30-35mm from its head to its butt.

Evidently Wolf Spider's eyes glow in the dark too, but probably a bit late to try that now. :D
You would be correct in saying that. Go outside at night and shine a torch around and then look for the pin spots of lights ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back