Bhp feeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Charv57

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I just have some questions about feeding my bhp is it possible to over feed him and if so what is the largest size rate I should be feeding him and I was also going to try and get him up to breeding size as quick as I can is this an good idea or not and is rates not to healthy for them or are they fine sorry for all the questions just want to know if I'm doing the right thing I don't want him getting sick or dying

cheers Cameron

BHP are high risk for fatty liver disease so never over feed a BHP, unless its really under weight but even then food intake should be monitored.

how old is he and how long?

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't it healthier to feed a 250gram rat rather than a 300-400gram rat? If his to size 1of them a fortnight should be fine. I wouldn't reccomend power feeding, it can be bad for their health as posted above.

Last edited:
I've 'power fed' my share of snakes including bhps. You shouldn't have any problems while its growing. Feeding large fatty rats is only a problem once the snake is putting the food into storage, not growth, which is when you will get fat build up around organs.

Bhps can get very big, very fast is fed lots. Give them a break every now and then for a few weeks and slow down onces its 'big'. I keep my males quiet small (they're about half the girth of my female is not less) and 6-7ft. Plenty of people feed their bhps big fatty rats their whole life with no problems but if you want to minimise the risk of fatty liver disease (I don't know how common it really is) you can sustain him on a few smaller rats per feed.

250 gram rat is also getting pretty fatty (obviously less so than 400g if you really want to feed skinny meals you'd be looking at 180-200gram rats).

If you want to feed 400g food items why not go for rabbits as they have about half the fat of rats?

Males are better off on the lean side for mating,compared to a overweight snake that might not find the energy to mate in the first place..I prefer to feed a couple smaller rats compared to large-x-large rodents..In the first couple years while the snake is growing you shouldnt have any problems regarding overfeeding,however once hes 2-3yr old i would slow down and only feed fortnightly..

BHP are high risk for fatty liver disease so never over feed a BHP, unless its really under weight but even then food intake should be monitored.

how old is he and how long?

Hey is only about 3 months and I haven't measured him yet but he would be in between half a meter and a meter

At the moment I'm feeding him every 5 days I just fed him 4 hoppers last night and in 5 days will up it to feeding him weaners

He would be better having 2 smaller leaner rats than one large fatty rat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back