Very little, but nice surprise today :)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RSPcrazy

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Just found this as I was about to spray down her enclosure.
917BFA81-F0AD-47AC-977E-588D7EF8D70C-1357-000002125ED925FC_zps55f900db.jpg

I only bought her a couple of months ago, I've never put her with the male.

She's a Blackrock Scorpion by the way.

That's so cool.

I have a female Flinders Rangers Scorpion that is Gravid (at least I think so) but she hasn't had any babies yet. Do Scorpions ever lose their babies in the gestation period?

yep, you don't have to breed them. Sadly they are all harvested from the wild pregnant and sold thru petstores etc to unsuspecting people, most of them have no knowledge of keeping a scorp with babies. I know cause I was one of those people. it's a crash course on how to properly look after a scorpion too to most people. The hardest bit was getting a constant supply of pinhead crickets (cause I didn't breed crickets) best of luck to you and I hope they reach maturity for you too

can babies sting? or are there singers still soft? same with their claws can they pinch you? or again too soft?

haha, they are gorgeous and sooo cute! I love baby scorps, so little and white :D Good luck with them :D

They can take 18 months to have their babies. She could also not be mature as they can look "swollen" or maybe she's just well fed. In my experience, flinders will give birth around March in the lower states.

Great sight to see young black rocks are tough little buggers.
Pretty much every wildcaught female scorpion is gravid on capture in my experience.

that is an awesome little surprise ha ha i cant wait to get my scorps lol

I have kept babie scorpions before, but not from the mothers back.

Does anyone know how I should deal with them at this stage?

I'm thinking I should put her in a smaller container when the babies are almost ready to shed, that way when the babies come off her back, they are easier to collect.

Is this what I should do?

Also, Could you post a photo of her whole enclosure?
Cheers :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Just leave them be until they leave her back and don't be worried if the shed skins remain stuck to the mother thats normal.
They should not be that hard to find they usually don't move very far right after they shed they are soft and vulnerable.

Last edited:
What's on the bottom layer there RSP? Are they glass bead things?

Yes, little glass rocks that came with the tanks (Their fighting fish tanks be the way).

It's called a "false bottom" setup. I pour water down those black tubes, wich fills the bottom with water. The water then rises. This way the scorpion can dig until it finds a spot with the perfect amount of moisture.

Another question for anyone that knows?
Can/should I feed her at all while the babies are on her back?

My thoughts are no, but I'm really not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back