"Spectacularly marked" tiger snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrFireStorm

Reaction score
Caught this "spectacularly marked" tiger snake yesterday afternoon. However, it did not appreciate me taking pics of it. The other pics are of the effects after 10 mins of being "tagged" by a Tiger snake.

Have only just been given the all clear from hospital and discharged. This was not a full bite, 1 fang pin prik only. I received 3000u of anti-venom

Daz

Attachments

• Spectacular tiger snake.jpg
    Spectacular tiger snake.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 757
  • Bandaged and in Ambulance.jpg
    Bandaged and in Ambulance.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 504
  • Bruising from tiger snake bite.jpg
    Bruising from tiger snake bite.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 525
Last edited by a moderator:
Caught this "spectacularly marked" tiger snake yesterday afternoon. However, it did not appreciate me taking pics of it. The other pics are of the effects after 10 mins of being "tagged" by a Tiger snake.

Have only just been given the all clear from hospital and discharged. This was not a full bite, 1 fang pin prik only. I received 3000u of anti-venom

Daz
WOW i hope u are ok now mate, looks like it hurt

Last edited by a moderator:
you'll know better for next time now. use a camers that zooms in from a distance.

glad both you and the lovely Tiger are ok, just goes to show it don't matter how careful someone is inevitably you are going to get tagged luckily this time it was just a 1 fang pin but it is something all these young herp enthusiasts who are busting a gut to get their vens lisence should take notice of, envenomations are a serious thing i kept Arachnids for about 15 years mostly bird eaters, Aussie tarantula's, mouse spiders, huntsmans and funnel webs, 1 of the mousie's tagged me once and hospitalized me for 3 days through 1 little slipup in concentration, it could have been a funnel web instead and then i would have been in all sorts of problems. Glad you can still smile Daz and i hope this does not put you off your hobby..........................Ron

glad both you and the lovely Tiger are ok, just goes to show it don't matter how careful someone is inevitably you are going to get tagged luckily this time it was just a 1 fang pin but it is something all these young herp enthusiasts who are busting a gut to get their vens lisence should take notice of,.....Glad you can still smile Daz and i hope this does not put you off your hobby..........................Ron

Thanks Ron....and HELL NO, no chance of putting me off mate....still got my other 12 tigers in the back porch......lol

But yeah I agree, regadless of how careful you are or confident in your handling....this sort of thing can happen......Luckily enough, it is my firest ven bite in 13 years...:rolleyes:

Daz

Thanks Ron....and HELL NO, no chance of putting me off mate....still got my other 12 tigers in the back porch......lol

But yeah I agree, regadless of how careful you are or confident in your handling....this sort of thing can happen......Luckily enough, it is my firest ven bite in 13 years...:rolleyes:

Daz
and hopefully the last

I hope you're okay! It does have really lovely markings though, thanks for the trouble to get a photo :)

Really nice markings, glad you managed at least one pic! Never been bitten by a vens, thankfully! They say you hardly recognize that you've been bitten because it's that quick. True?

:shock: OUCH!!!!!

Nice Tiger though, that is one 'ell of a gorgeous Tiger!

Glad you are ok mate. Sorry to hear and all the best for your recovery

Def plan on it being my last......No full body shots as yet, but they will be coming as I have kept it.....be nice addition to my breeding stock.

The property owners had had 2 attempts at it with a shovel and one of its organs are protruding outside near the vent.....Vet visit tomorrow for treatment.

Will get new pics (without follow up "tags":lol:) once initial treatment has been done.

Thanks for the wishes.

Daz

Damn that is a gorgeous tiger, glad to hear you're ok! Had to giggle at the word 'pr1ck' being censored though, so not a swear! :lol:

G'day Daz and Ron,

Firstly, Daz thank u for sharing those pics and story. I am glad that you are ok. And Ron, thanks for sharing the story about the mouse spider incident.

I am very curious to find out from both of you what the process and experience of being envenomated was like.

What effects did you experience?
How long did the onset take?
What did you experience by having antivenine put into your system?
When did you feel that you were in recovery rather than decline? How long did it take?
What was your view of the medical practitioners and their knowledge and ability in dealing with your situation?

Cheers guys. If you can find the time to answer any of these questions I would be fascinated hearing about it!

Geoff.

All the best mate! Oh just one question what size was the snake?

What effects did you experience?
How long did the onset take?
What did you experience by having antivenine put into your system?
When did you feel that you were in recovery rather than decline? How long did it take?
What was your view of the medical practitioners and their knowledge and ability in dealing with your situation?
Geoff.

Hi Geoff,

I had considered sending the response via PM however, IMO, I believe the answers may be beneficial and knowledgeable to all....so here goes:

a. At the initial bite, I had a stinging sensation throughout my whole finger. That is what alerted me to the fact that I had in fact been "done" and was not a warning strike which most tigers give.

b. Onset was almost instantaneous. As stated in (a), the stinging was immediate. Bruising started to occur within 5 minutes of initial invenomation. Swelling started approx 10 minutes later (15 minutes after initial injection).

c. Prior to anti-venom being administered, a series of blood tests were conducted and constant ECG and other monitoring. An extra canula was also inserted in case of the requirement of adrenalin in case of reaction. 3000u were administered over a 30 minute period with bandages loosened from the fingers only after 15 minutes. At the completion of infusion, another 1 hour of waiting and testing, prior to removal of remaining bandages. No immediate effects were felt from the infusion of anti-venom.

d. Possibly due to low invenomation, I had no other symptons or side effects. I was conscious the whole time and continually conversed with the medical staff. However, the pain in my finger increased constantly for approx 6 hours. 2 different types of painkillers were given to make the finger more comfortable. Approx 76 hours after intial invenomation, swell of the knuckles was more visable as was a red line following the main artery of the forearm and continued to my elbow. The area surrounding the "red line" was also painful to the touch. This subsided approx 12 hours after.

e. The attending paramedics and the hospital staff were excellent. Continually monitoring, conversing and my comfort was A+++. The only problem I had was with one of the admissions doctors who asked idiotic questions such as, "when did you apply the tornique". He was very quickly briefed on snake bite treatment by another doctor (as she could see my frustrations building) and told to check the patients medical file as all the answers to his questions could be found there.

Hope these answer your questions and are of interest to others at the same time.

Cheers
Daz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back