Got my first motorcycle!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good work mate ;) I'm loving my ninja 300....couldn't be happier with it! A very smart upgrade when the time comes!
I'll be getting headers and a full exhaust system when more comes on the market...also air filter and box upgrade and any other little things that I can do at the time :)
P.s I always recommend wearing gear! I wear mine all the time whethear its 15 degrees or above 30 not worth my life to be cool and not wear a jacket, boots, jeans etc etc!

No as that would be a sackable offence.

may I ask why my previous statement was deleted in regards to even if your not technically at fault u still are.

this is pumped into me by Roadcraft trainers every year at refreshers along with

"no point of being in the right, if your laying in an ambulance"

food for thought for all bike riders

Last edited:
Congrats on the first bike, There is plenty of good advice on here so keep all that in mind and keep the rubber on the road and the shiney side up

Good for you there lots of fun more ecconomical than a car and with honda and yamaha both producing a 125 its a nice entry level bike not much power but good to learn on enjoy the freedon of riding

good on you Notorious, what's the other bike in the garage?

Thanks. The other bike is also a Honda CBR 125R, my brother-in-law's (his first bike too!). We bought them one day after the other.

Agree with everyone saying wear your gear.

First 3 of my rides as a learner went like this-

1. 50ks down a back street, some guy rounded the corner, cut it completely and I locked it up and ended up in the gutter. Didn't drop the bike though!
2. School zone.... Guy pulled out in front of me, had nowhere to go except gravel. Somehow ended up fishtailing to a stop, semi-dropped the bike (i still had it half upright)
3. 60ks on a bend.... someone booted it to get through an orange light. I went to follow, they locked it up and I locked it up and slid to a stop.

I was lucky all times not to come off. If I had, with no gear.... imagine what damage could have been done!

Yup, helmet has arrived today - will be looking to get a jacket and gloves this weekend. That being said, is there a palce in Sydney you guys would recommend where I wouldn't be losing my life savings to get gear?

There is an online shop that used to actually have a physical shopfront here in Adelaide called Traxion motorcycle apparel, They do great prices on good quality riding gear. I get all mine and my wifes riding gear from there and they are great people to deal with. If you have no issues dealing online check them out. Just google their name or pm me and I will send you a link

There is a motorcycle warehouse of some sort because the insurance company bassed their costs for my gear on them and as such I was out of pocket because I bought locally. I'll do a search later if I get a chance and see if anything rings a bell.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's 2:
http://www.mcas.com.au/

http://www.maw.com.au/

And here is a post I made elsewhere about this same topic:
Mate, I am always on a bit of a budget so I look for bang for my bucks. I have Rossi touring boots (Aussie made in Adelaide) which were designed with the help of the Ulysses club, they are a specifically motorbike boot but they are so comfortable that you can wear them to work and walk around in them. Approx $250

I can rate Draggin jeans very highly, I had them on and if you look up the pics the only skin I lost was a 5c piece graze on each knee which was a little friction rub from the kevlar as far as I could tell. Again they are incredibly comfortable after a couple of washes. Approx $220

I also have two jackets, one is an R-Jays touring jacket like a Driryder and I have a more street style bomber jacket called an Ixon 'Hacker' which is all made of mesh. The Ixon will get you drenched if it rains but on a hot summer day it is a great jacket as anywhere that hasn't got armour is made of mesh which lets air flow. I had the touring jacket on at the time of the off but the Hacker has all the same armour in it. Either is around $180

If you can afford better than that then go your hardest but I think even on a budget this is about the minimum type of gear people should be looking at.

I was pretty rigid about wearing my gear before the accident but since then I cringe and get mad every time I see a bike rider in shorts, t-shirt and Dunlop Volley's.

MCA is your best bet.. Helmet Warehouse out at Yagoona, pretty big shop and has a pretty decent range.. Bikebiz in Parramatta is pretty good also..

Thanks guys! Yea I was planning on checking out the Yagoona warehouse on Saturday! MCA looks good too!

The CBR 125R was my first bike too. Almost as efficient as a push bike! I got the black one. Then I went onto a GSXR 600 and now on a Kawasaki Z1000.

+1 for wearing all the gear, although having said that, last year I stacked at aprox 30 kmh and smashed my knee! 5 months off work!!!
And I have had 32 years experiance. All the gear in the world still wont save you.
Sorry, not trying to put anyone off, just remember, stay vigilant and enjoy the .... out of yourself

+1 for wearing all the gear, although having said that, last year I stacked at aprox 30 kmh and smashed my knee! 5 months off work!!!
And I have had 32 years experiance. All the gear in the world still wont save you.
Sorry, not trying to put anyone off, just remember, stay vigilant and enjoy the .... out of yourself

No matter how much gear you wear (and off roading I wear a HEAP) you just can't protect yourself from everything can you, I've been off the bike for 3 months due to soft tissue damage after an off. :lol:

No matter how much gear you wear (and off roading I wear a HEAP) you just can't protect yourself from everything can you, I've been off the bike for 3 months due to soft tissue damage after an off. :lol:

Yeah it happens, my brother punched a tree stump into his lung and broke a few ribs wearing full armour. I find dirt bikes seem to break more bones, road bikes usually just gravel rash or maim.

My broken bones were road related, worst I've had on the dirt is soft tissue and bruising. Must be all the wood in my head I'm in permanent touch with. :lol: Some of the 'cool' riders on here I think have had a fair slab of luck on their side, the bad part is for many of us that luck runs out at least once and we pay a fair price for loving two wheels so much.

Yeah it happens, my brother punched a tree stump into his lung and broke a few ribs wearing full armour. I find dirt bikes seem to break more bones, road bikes usually just gravel rash or maim.

This was my last decent hospital trip holiday from my dirty.

Compound broken tib fib.jpg
compound broken tib fib 3.jpg
Compound broken tib fib 2.jpg

Decided to go for a quick warm up ride in my local trails came around a big swooping corner and had a head on with this bloke with his front wheel crushing my leg, out of shock tried to stand up and as soon as there was weight on my leg it buckled and my ankle did a 90degree turn and my tibia came out the side of my leg to say hello wasn't pretty, 11 days in hospital later I was out in a moon boot with a nice chunk of titanium, a few screws in my leg and some nice battle scars. Moral to the story wear your gear fellas.

Last edited:
I had a mate who came for a ride he put on some sturddy stuff and borrowed my spare roost protector, unfortunately we had no spare knee guards and I doubt they would have saved him. Either way a slow off broke the top off his tibia and he ended up with sugery to reattach the top and secure the fibia as well which had also been broken, 2 large titanium plates and 16 screws. He wasn't allowed to bare any weight for 2 months, then started physio and has a slight limp and some deformity in his lower leg.

It CAN happen this easily... Greg rides a roady and used to ride trails and trials but not for quite some time, he was TRYING to take it easy and get back into the flow...

[video=youtube;bJbHLH_6vVQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJbHLH_6vVQ[/video]

wow that was an eye opener thanks gruni.

venomous those xrays made me cringe lol

I think statistically speaking it's going to happen, just a matter of when.

Heres my learner mobile: will do me for a while I think.
Suzzi 250 across.
P2070605.jpg

Pretty popular lams bike. Best feature is the 'glovebox'

Apologies for the quality of the photo, it's a good camera I just have an essential tremor which no anti-shake can manage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back