Would you sell....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JrFear

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
would you sell your reptiles to some one that you knew kept and breed exotics? Even if they did have a license?

I wouldn't risk the safety of the animal incase he got caught in future and had them confiscated.

If someone gets busted obviously the exotics are toast but what happens to any licensed animals they have? Also if an unlicensed keper is hit what happens to the natives, are they released or is that what the ballot is for that you hear about? So long as my animal isn't at risk of being euthenased I might think about it... not real keen on the idea though.

As long as they have the cash and license, then the rest isn't of concern to me.

Hello,
from what I know of you found in breach they don't just take the exotics or whatever but everything that is related with the keeping of reptiles so cages heat sources etc. also have been contacted by national parks in which they asked me and other if we would adopt animals that had either been taken from people or deemed unsuitable for the wild. But if they have any worries they will destroy them without hesitation.

Cheers yogi

i dont see why everyone still is making such a big deal about exotics... they are here now and there is no chance at getting rid of them with theamount going around lately and if husbandy and everything is all up to scratch why not sell to them IMO

he obviously has experience , aslong as he isn't a dirty keeper and isn't good with husbandry i dont see what the problem is, i see it as the same as selling to anyone .

I wouldn't risk the safety of the animal incase he got caught in future and had them confiscated.
this would be my worry also , when you think about it if his busted and his got exotics theres a good chance they may euthanise any natives he has due to risk of a disease and it being to much hassle to have them quarantined , i may be paranoid here and they may very well just be passed on , but i wouldnt want reps that i had bred or cared for ending up dying due to that

this would be my worry also , when you think about it if his busted and his got exotics theres a good chance they may euthanise any natives he has due to risk of a disease and it being to much hassle to have them quarantined , i may be paranoid here and they may very well just be passed on , but i wouldnt want reps that i had bred or cared for ending up dying due to that
Are you people even thinking about what you are saying? It just sounds ridiculous to me.

You wouldnt sell reptiles on the slim chance they could be seized and destroyed (whilst not even in your posession anymore) or to someone that "might" possibly not care for them? (based on the fact someone keeps exotics- cos that is a definite sign of poor husbandry :S).

So with all this information, knowing you care sooo much about every hatchling you have ever bred, Im assuming you would then make weekly phone calls enquiring as to the condition on all the animals you have bred? Like I said: ridiculous.

Once money has been exchanged, in a legal way, end of story on the sellers side. Its common sense.

But people like that are the ones that make our hobby harder to keep our own animals let alone new keepers

how does someone that keeps an exotic make it harder for us to keep natives?

I wouldnt sell any of our guys (tarantula included) They are family.

how does someone that keeps an exotic make it harder for us to keep natives?
Sorry let me rephrase that
The more that keep exotics and get caught to me would make it seem like our hobby would get harder to get into

most of the time you do not know who your selling to, so you don't know if they keep exotics or unlicenced reptiles or not.

but if they get caught the reptiles on licence will be confiscated and will most likely be put down because they are a risk incase they have caught any forign virus or disease.

i'd be very upset if i found out i sold someone one of a beloved reptile pets and that it had been euthanised because they kept exotics too. DEC will not quarantin for 12 months and its a risk to give it to another reptile keeper incase their reptiles catch something. its sad but its what happens.

its not about money or if they have a licence, its about the animals best interests and who can offer them the best home. some people are in it just for money and would sell to people they know won't look after the animal properly, as long as they have the cash they don't care.

i don't care if people own exotics, thats their choice. and if we were allowed to keep exotics that had been through a strict screening program then this would not be a problem.

Last edited:
Sorry let me rephrase that
The more that keep exotics and get caught to me would make it seem like our hobby would get harder to get into

Oh ok I get where you are coming from in a way it would be I guess but I'm not convinced that it would make it harder and then you have to think about how they would get busted the department have proved its self numerous times not to do anything about situations...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back