Would you sell....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Im with skinks and disintegratus on this one. If they are all well kept and they do it because they love the animals its not going to affect anyone else! so who cares? Alot of people that buy animals probably own exotics themselves anyways but just dont tell anyone except other people that keep them

Im with skinks and disintegratus on this one. If they are all well kept and they do it because they love the animals its not going to affect anyone else! so who cares?you guys still dont get the point huh , its the fact that if he is caught then any native he has will most likely be euthanasied due to the fact that they dont have the resources to quarantine for the amount of time it would take to ensure they arnt infected , and the will not , go into the ballot system because of fear of an outbreak if they are infected , whether you think this is right or wrong morally doesnt matter , it is what will happen
if you still dont care that they may be euthanised because of you KNOWINGLY selling them to someone owning exotics than thats fine , it shows your mindset towards your animals Alot of people that buy animals probably own exotics themselves anyways but just dont tell anyone except other people that keep themand those guys will probably go for years trouble free , but when this guy is clearly stupid enough for the op to find out ( not calling you stupid either op) then it is only a matter of time until the authorities do

i did the thing in red again , makes it so easy to cover your points

ill just mention in light of the below posts , that i do realise exotics are everywhere , ive been offered them , my problem with the topic isnt about exotics being in australia , its about the natives being euthanised because i knowingly sold them to someone owning exotics , that i dont agree with

Last edited:
lol i under no condition keep exotics but if you knew some of the people who do you would be amazed.. its not bums without licenses.... Its well respected keepers too.

Like anything there is a dark side to everything, just keep your own nose clean and out of trouble.

As for who you sell to, what breeder asks what you keep before the transaction? ive got a few snakes and i have never had a breeder ask about my collection before selling to me.. why would they?? its none of their business really..

lol i under no condition keep exotics but if you knew some of the people who do you would be amazed.. its not bums without licenses.... Its well respected keepers too.

Like anything there is a dark side to everything, just keep your own nose clean and out of trouble.

As for who you sell to, what breeder asks what you keep before the transaction? ive got a few snakes and i have never had a breeder ask about my collection before selling to me.. why would they?? its none of their business really..

I would also just like to add to this the different species of exotics that are available over here would absolutely astound alot of people...

What makes people think that natives will be destroyed by the authorities if they are confiscated due to people also keeping exotics? That's what the ballots are for. I own a beautiful darwin thanks to a ballot. It was confiscated in a drug raid and the people were found with a bunch of exotics as well. There's always people willing to adopt reptiles.

I have been told by a inside source that most of the confiscated reptiles are put to sleep. That is why most of the reptile owners that i know do not report unlicenced reptile owners.

License are just anothet cash grab anyway, one more way for the government to take some more money out of our pockets. All I have to do is pay $200 a year and I can keep some of the most deadly snakes in the world or man eating saltwater crocodiles. Not having a license, keeping exotics who gives a rats, it comes down to the individual keeper, how much interest they have in the animal and what sort of time there going to put into its upkeep. Keeping reptiles is no diffrent to fish birds cats or dogs. The only thing is we have to keep paying for a "license".

License are just anothet cash grab anyway, one more way for the government to take some more money out of our pockets. All I have to do is pay $200 a year and I can keep some of the most deadly snakes in the world or man eating saltwater crocodiles. Not having a license, keeping exotics who gives a rats, it comes down to the individual keeper, how much interest they have in the animal and what sort of time there going to put into its upkeep. Keeping reptiles is no diffrent to fish birds cats or dogs. The only thing is we have to keep paying for a "license".

I must admit I do look forward to your posts :) I would have to agree though, I don't understand what having a licence does? It doesn't change the way I keep the animal. I am sure there are going to be some people out there that argue the fact it uses control and makes it a tool to track what's around etc. Although I don't keep exotics, I do keep Natives and I don't see why I really need a licence for them? But I play by their rules even though I don't particularly agree. In answer to your question though JrFear, we can't really tell you who and who not to sell to. If you have to be asking the quetion, then it sounds like you already knew the answer to your question before you asked.... JMO

If you don't want to sell to him then that's fine... sticking your nose in when it's not wanted is a different story all together.

People will always have a different stance on the ethics of this... choose a side and stick with it.

Oh, just want to mention... I sell to people who have free roaming cats.

i will state that i didnt stick my nose in any thing all i asked is that if they had a license and they stated the rest which was stupid on there behalf!

i will state that i didnt stick my nose in any thing all i asked is that if they had a license and they stated the rest which was stupid on there behalf!

Agreed mate... you have done no wrong here. It has been suggested though that you go beyond your end of the transaction in your capacity as a seller by others. You have the information and it is your choice to do with it as you see fit.

and if they just start blurting it out to a stranger its only a matter of time until he tells the wrong person that either knows someone in the department or are in the department themselves i do agree in a way though that going out of your way to try to get him busted is a little nosey let him be his own undoing
but i wouldn't sell anything to him myself once i had the knowledge regarding his exotics and no not because of husbandry or that i think hed be a bad keeper but because of the reasons ive stated ealier

If you don't want to sell due to some moral/ethical objection then fair enough, but the risk of them being confiscated and euthanised is so low its laughable.

Lol thanks TheJoyces! I think I should just quickly leiterate that I do not own or keep exotics and I do have a lisence as its just easier to obtain reptiles when I do want a new one/new species. My previous statement is my own view and I can not argue with the op putting the safety/care of a animal first before been able to unload an animal or to make a dolla.

What makes people think that natives will be destroyed by the authorities if they are confiscated due to people also keeping exotics? That's what the ballots are for. I own a beautiful darwin thanks to a ballot. It was confiscated in a drug raid and the people were found with a bunch of exotics as well. There's always people willing to adopt reptiles.

Wrong!
Statistics have shown that for every 1 exotic kept in Australia, 10 native reptiles are killed, 7 Taliban respawn, 3 children go to bed without dinner and 2 fairies will not get their wings. I know because a mate of my brothers friend who has kept a spotted Python for 3 years told me.

I personally have no problem with having to pay for a license. I see it as no different to paying registration for my dogs or cats when I had them. $150 isn't much to pay each year for as many reptiles as you want. Licenses are the governments only way to monitor who owns reptile and how many they have.

As for the op's question if they told me they owned exoctics or off license reptiles I wouldn't sell to them. Just for the fact if they feel comfortable enough to tell a complete stranger who knows who else they have told. While I wouldn't dob them in, eventually someone will.

Agreed!
For a car license you sit several tests to prove you are competent, same with a bike, truck, train, crane etc.
What skills do you need to prove you have before getting any type of native animal license? What written and practical tests are there for those skills? NONE!
Hell for a class 2 license here in NSW you just have to prove you can write what they want to hear!
Tell me that's not just a cash grab, the number you can contact them on is only available until 12..... and that's if the phone hasn't been left off the hook. They have insufficient staff who 9 times out of 10 are just desk clerks who have no idea on keeping reptiles, temp ranges, food items and cage sizes etc and couldn't id a Bredli from a Coastal to a MD.

Anyway, back on topic, I wouldn't dob someone in, what they do is their own business and when I was breeding, I would have people meet me somewhere. I have known people who keep exotics, everyone who is saying 'exotic diseases' blah blah blah...... You do realise that majority of exotics in oz have been captive bred here for many generations right?

Pretty much the only things that people will risk hiding in their pants at airports are rarer specimens, such as albino darwins, albino spotteds, albino olives, jags etc..... Now our albino natives are being captive bred o/s and things like jags are being captive bred and offered for sale here. Although they might be a fairly recent addition to for sale ads, don't think they haven't been here for a long time and are quite a few generations old ;)

I'm wondering if a lot of people who think dobbing someone in over exotics would have any trouble owning jags?

My thoughts excactly Ramsayi. I would bet for the majority no, despite their high and mighty stance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back