Got my first motorcycle!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a mate who came for a ride he put on some sturddy stuff and borrowed my spare roost protector, unfortunately we had no spare knee guards and I doubt they would have saved him. Either way a slow off broke the top off his tibia and he ended up with sugery to reattach the top and secure the fibia as well which had also been broken, 2 large titanium plates and 16 screws. He wasn't allowed to bare any weight for 2 months, then started physio and has a slight limp and some deformity in his lower leg.

It CAN happen this easily... Greg rides a roady and used to ride trails and trials but not for quite some time, he was TRYING to take it easy and get back into the flow...

[video=youtube;bJbHLH_6vVQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJbHLH_6vVQ[/video]

That was a nasty angle he fell on man, that buckle when he put pressure on it was exactly what I did but because my tibia broke on a sharp angle it came straight through the skin.

How did he end up getting out of there? National park?

The Across is a good little bike I test rode one for a mate that had a better set of pipes fitted and once you got the revs up a bit it fair screamed along. For a shorter rider than me I think one of the nicest 250's I've played on was a little CBR250R.

We were riding at Mt Canobolis near Orange and it's all State Forrest/Pine Plantation. We were in a group of three and my mate rode back to the farm and got his ute. We planned to load the bike on the ute but Greg actually drove the manual ute out of there while Wayne and I rode. We actually did a bit of sight seeing as Greg thought it was just a strain and he could use his ankle etc. It wasn't till some hours later with no improvement that we went to the hospital and got the shock news. He hadn't broken the skin and a sprain would swell up just as much as his knee did. It was such a gumby off that none of us thought it could be a serious injury as we had all bounced back from much more spectacular falls without so much as a bruise. :lol:

yes I was looking at a cb & cbr250 today actually. I think they possess a certain style & stance no other bike comes close to. Pitty I'm after a cruiser though ;)

The across is a little doughy down low I think it's because it's a small 4 cylinder. Ring it's neck and it turns into a little hummer but you have to keep the revs up. I think that's what makes it such a good learners bike. Anything bigger and I probably would've ended up on my head by now. I have no interest in fast bikes... well I do I just have a few more things in life I want to accomplish before owning one.

:shock: glad the missus isn't reading this stuff... my bike keys would disappear!

That's exactly what I meant about the across but a set of aftermarket pipes help it to breathe better and get on to the power a bit better. The CBR250R my mate had was a small bore 4cyl and it ws the same but it wasn't as slow to get the revs on. They redline at 18k so they need to be kept around 10-12k to stay snappy but it was a very sporty and agile bike to my way of thinking. Shame I'm 6' 4" and over 80kgs. :lol:

yes I was looking at a cb & cbr250 today actually. I think they possess a certain style & stance no other bike comes close to. Pitty I'm after a cruiser though ;)

The across is a little doughy down low I think it's because it's a small 4 cylinder. Ring it's neck and it turns into a little hummer but you have to keep the revs up. I think that's what makes it such a good learners bike. Anything bigger and I probably would've ended up on my head by now. I have no interest in fast bikes... well I do I just have a few more things in life I want to accomplish before owning one.

As for the women folk... my wife hates me riding especially after my crash but she sees the passion in my eyes and knows it's a fight she can't hope to win so we agree to take all the safe guards I can, gear, insurance a riding buddy for in the bush and some common sense and good judgement on my part. I think it does you good though to hear some of this stuff from guys who have been there and done that. 8)

Last edited:
As for the women folk... my wife hates me riding especially after my crash but she sees the passion in my eyes and knows it's a fight she can't hope to win so we agree to take all the safe guards I can, gear, insurance a riding buddy for in the bush and some common sense and good judgement on my part. I think it does you good though to hear some of this stuff from guys who have been there and done that. 8)

The trick is to get them on a bike.. I taught my girl how to ride on a little pit bike and she now has her own crf 150R and loves getting down and dirty. The only problem I have now is her wanting every pink bling part there is :facepalm:

No it's definitely good - it'll keep me grounded and I'll remember it everytime I think of being "fully sick" on my the bike

not sure if i should but ------- this morning in western sydney biker v Kangaroo
Kangaroo 1
biker 0

very sad

not sure if i should but ------- this morning in western sydney biker v Kangaroo
Kangaroo 1
biker 0

very sad

Where abouts did this happen?

edit. Found it. poor bugger. Apparently they found the kangaroo near the wreckage of the bike.

Last edited:
I had a mate who got lucky in that same situation. It jumped down off an embankment and landed in his lap... binned the bike scratching a bit of chrome and dented the fuel tank but the rider only lost a bit of dignity and collected a couple of bruises. Oh and a new helmet. :)

- - - Updated - - -

For a more positive turn... here's me on my mates CBR.
P3080035Small.jpg

And the CBR with it's big brother another mates VFR750.
P3080038Small.jpg

And my old girl after she was restored from a complete basket case. 84 XR250 with a 280 bore kit and Bigfin kit on the head to help with air cooling the larger bore.
file.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Test riding a day dream... Kwakka 900 Cruiser.
JustaDream2Small.jpg

And my starting point as far as protective gear for offroad.
MyGearSmall.jpg

Kangaroo 1
biker 0

very sad
read up on ben grabham in the condo 750 approk 150km/h into a roo. the tuff bugger ran dakar as well within a year of his serious injuries. Freak accidents can happen. Riding smart will still minimise the risks

Another good tip also is don't just wear the gear, make sure all the gear is in good condition. A few years ago whilst on a memorial run one of our riders had a blowout on the rear which turned into a tank slapper, He tried to bail at what seemed to him to be the best time to get off only to find that he couldn't. He finished up riding it to the ground and being caught under the bike, when we removed the bike we found that the gear lever had got caught in a rip in his boot which he knew was already there. End result was a smashed ankle and a kneecap shattered into about 20 pieces. He had all the gear and wore it religiously, he had actually looked at new boots the week previous to his accident but decided that his old ones were too comfy and it basically cost him a year of his life.

Sometimes my friends think I am anal when it comes to safety gear but that is just because I want all of my mates to make it home alive from every ride regardless of how far we are going.

Good point Shags my helmets average a 3yr, slightly longer if it's not worn regularly but certainly within 5yrs, turn around for that same reason.

So NotoriouS, how did you get on? Did you get your safety gear? How's the learning to ride going?

Hey Gruni! I got my helmet and gloves, went to look at jackets on Saturday at the Yagoona warehouse - nothing I wanted really. Don't want to spend so much money on something that I don't like, so will keep looking. The learning is going slow and steady, picking up things everyday. Quite comfortable riding in quiet streets, we'll see how I get along in traffic. Planning to head out middle of this week.

Great little learner bike you have there. You can learn a lot of the necessary roadcraft skills on it in a safe manner and its small and light enough to be forgiving on your back if you do happen to drop it. I spent two and a half years on mine before I upgraded and I still rely on many of the skills I learnt and perfected on my 125R.

My only tip is to be careful in the wet or if you hit a loose patch of gravel etc. It is very easy to lock up the rear wheel when braking which can make your ride more exciting than you planned.

Have fun.

My only tip is to be careful in the wet or if you hit a loose patch of gravel etc. It is very easy to lock up the rear wheel when braking which can make your ride more exciting than you planned.

Have fun.

:lol: I did excatly that on my mates VFR from the pic I posted. I didn't lock up the brake but turned onto some gravel and the big pig wanted to low side me... all my dirtbike riding kicked in and before I knew what I'd done I blipped the throttle and it straightened the bike up, at the time it seems a bit counter intuitive as most people will try to grab a fist full of brake to 'stop' the bike doing what it is. I have had to lift that thing once before and wasn't keen on the idea of lifting it by myself I can tell you.

Crashed my first motorcycle! :facepalm:

Car was tailing me way too closely as I came up to a roundabout, didn't slow down enough out of fear of getting hit from behind... was going too fast as I was coming out of the roundabout and went straight into the curb & fence! Thankfully had all my gear on, just got a bruised leg by getting my leg stuck under the bike when I fell. Picked up the bike, scraped my pride off the floor and moved around the corner.

Bit of damage to the bike, front wheel not aligned to steering anymore, crack in the fairing (small) but that's about it. Called up a repairer, he told me to put the wheel against a brick wall and straighten it by bending the steering in the opposite direction. That seemed to work! But will hopefully get it inspected by a mechanic once I build up the skills to ride it comfortably.

But yea, thankfully not too much damage, lesson learnt, just a bit of pride lost :(

Last edited:
Glad you ended up OK after it mate. Tail gating was one of my pet hates when riding.

Glad you got out of it ok, I'm sure your pride will mend quickly enough.

When you do that to the steering you should back the bolts on the triple clamp off just a bit and 'bump' the wheel against a wall or tree etc to knock it back across. Then nip up your bolts again.

Your fairing if it cracked can be fixed a couple of ways, one of which is to use NeadIt epoxy metal... it's a two part putty that you knead together and then smoosh it on the back of the crack and it bonds with the fibreglass when it dries. You apply it to the back of the fairing so it's not visible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back