CHILDREN's PYTHON HELP!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iHerp

Reaction score
Im getting my first snake next week, ive kept 2 thicktailed geckos and 2 central bearded dragons and finally i am getting a childrens python and was wondering if anyone could if this information is correct.

Hot end: 30c
cool end 26c
2 hides 1 water bowl.
and a branch.

Do i need anything else in enclosure?
do i feed snake in enclosure or do i put a tub in the enclosure and feed him/her in that?

Thanks Guys.
I didnt even bother going to google as i like peoples advice from this website!
Thanks again
Charlie *iHerp

In regards to feeding in a tub or not -I personally feed in the snakes enclosure, and by what I've seen a lot of other people on here do so as well. So it is up to you, but I don't think it is much of an issue, if you feed in a tub, you have to move them back, which they may not like after a feed ;)

i mean i put them in a tub to feed them, but the tub is in the enclosure. So he knowns when its feeding time so he doesnt get cage defensive
----
i think thats the reason why they get cage defensive

after eating the snake will move around the enclosure to a position it wants to settle down and digest. if it's in the tub then where can it go ? might as well feed it in the enclosure instead of in a tub which is in an enclosure.

a snake doesn't associate being put a tub with feeding time, they associate a rat put in front of their nose that it's feeding time.

Sounds pretty good to me on the whole. My Mac has a hide and a rock archway that she uses like a hide. Feel free to have a look through the pics on my profile. As for feeding I just open the lid, dangle the mouse... BANG!... brief tug of war to get her really excited and Bob's your uncle. :D Skittles happily smashes down 3 big mice and has never aimed at my fingers either. ;)

Gruni I'm a firm believer in feeding excitation by holding the mouse tail (thawed).
i think that this helps retain a little bit more natural response.
having said that I have observed keepers who simply drop and run, close the lid and take a look later.
seen a few bad keepers who don't go back for that look for too long a time.

My snake is pretty fine with it, after she is done she goes straight back into her enclosure and straight to the warm end.

My snake is pretty fine with it, after she is done she goes straight back into her enclosure and straight to the warm end.

That's great , but it's a completely pointless exercise and not really the best advice to offer a newbie who will have enough on their plate with out having to worry about doing extra pointless tasks .

Considering its been a month and we haven't heard of any issues, I'm sure it's fine.

Sorry to highjack the thread, but in reguards to feeding in the enclosure can the snake get impacted from the getting bedding on the prey? Would aspen snake bedding cause harm if ingested? Also with the temps and heat mat is it ok to put the heat mat in the actual cage with about 3cm worth of aspen on it because it didnt feel that warm. The probes read 33c on the hot side and 28 on the cool side is that right? also is it ok to go half and half but instead of going across the tub go down the middle so a strip of cold and a strip of warm. Sorry about the questions just one more, 1 pinky every 5 days for a 2month old snake?

Well it is good to avoid getting substrate on the pray but it will be just find if a little gets on it think in the wild it would happen quite often. The heating sounds just fine but going down the middle ( long ways? ) for a strip of warm and cold doesn't really should like there would be enough variation to be honest and 1 pinky every 5 days sounds just fine for now. Anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back