Tips on keeping humidity up in tank.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree wholeheartedly Pythoninfinite, my goal is to mimic natural environments as close as I can with my collection. While doing the bare minimum may not 'harm' the python, I would like to adhere to what their natural standards are for heat and humidity. I don't believe for a second that many opinions all agreeing on seeking a minimum humidity level for a Darwin are all wrong, I believe you are simply offering your opinion, but please do so without downing all the other opinions of others I've sought as wrong. One opinion contrary to a dozen others... I'm far less likely to take your advice than theirs.

Mav. I'm almost entirely sure that pythoninfinite is not downing what u r saying or others for that matter but I'd much rather take the advice of those in the know on here then try to "mimic their natural environment". Whilst it would nice to try and do that it's about practicality and the fact it is a captive bred python.

Brian Barnett was one who shared some his views with me on captive bred animals.

CONFUSED Not for arguement sake Slide just a question as I'm concerned now aluminium foil is used in ovens where heating elements are how does this not course danger for us when we cook?
I used this method for my gtps as it was advised on here when I did my research for humidity problems!

So one asks for advice on upping humidity, and it turns into a husbandry debate/slam session. All I wanted was ideas on upping humidity, not to be scrutinized for how I want to keep my pythons, and told repeatedly that I'm in the wrong. You've done a great job of sharing your opinions, and also a great job of making sure I hesitate before asking a question on here.

To those who actually did offer advice on upping humidity, I thank you kindly for your opinions, and will take them on board.

While it's understandable that you're frustrated about the direction this thread has taken, you should realise that people aren't deliberately trying to shoot you down. It's just that there is usually a reason why things are done a certain way. In this case, too much humidity can be worse than not enough. In a couple of months when you are making a thread asking something along the lines of "why does my snake have scale rot" you might understand why people have said what they have here

Saximus: I'm well aware of the risks of too high humidity, I don't believe what I was trying to achieve was 'too high'. I've been keeping since I was 7 and have learned many do's and don'ts in that time. All I wanted was some tips to upping humidity, and as I said, some of it was people telling me how I should be keeping my animals. I can see why many with far less years keeping get so upset about the users on this forum when seeking help and only being chastised for their apparent lack of experience and 'wrong keeping methods'.

All you can really do is block off some of the ventilation,trial and error until you get the results you are after, and have a decent sized water bowl in the enclosure.

Might be worth reading through some gtp threads as I'm sure there will be plenty of humidity information in them. As you are getting frustrated with the answers I'm sure many people get frustrated with the same old threads when a quick search should lead you to the information your asking.

Might be worth reading through some gtp threads as I'm sure there will be plenty of humidity information in them. As you are getting frustrated with the answers I'm sure many people get frustrated with the same old threads when a quick search should lead you to the information your asking.

This is true, certainly something I'll take on board for my next query.

Dangles: Been there, done that... no thanks! ;)

We can consider this topic closed guys, thanks for the help, the tips, the frustration and help. I have worked out a plan of action and it is working. So thanks.

CONFUSED Not for arguement sake Slide just a question as I'm concerned now aluminium foil is used in ovens where heating elements are how does this not course danger for us when we cook?
I used this method for my gtps as it was advised on here when I did my research for humidity problems!

With the oven, if you touch the element when its on you get burnt not electricuted as the elements are designed not to conduct electricity to your metal pot and shock you but are designed to conduct the heat to the pot without transfer of electricity.
I have not seen how this is actually set up but my concern was the potential for the foil to come in contact with the conductive metal parts of the light (& light fitting) or close enough to them to cause the electricity to arc across to the foil.
The light fitting may have enough insulation to make that scenario nearly impossible but i thought i would point out the potential of using a conductor (foil) in close proximity to an electrical source.
Up to you what you want to do really. Just something to consider.

Aaron

If I may add a little to what Slide had to say. Heat cord, metal hotplates, bar radiators are all common examples of non-conductive heating elements. When you put a metal pot on a metal hotplate, you do not get electrical shorts. The core of traditional heating elements contains a metal wire or rod, which has a high electrical resistance. When an electric current is passed through this it generates heat. The greater the current the more heat produced. You can think of high resistance as being a lot of disorganised movement of the metal atoms, resulting in a lot of friction as the electrons try and pass along it. And as we know, friction produces heat.

Surrounding the high resistance metal is an electrical insulator which will not conduct electricity. It does, however, readily conduct heat. So the heat comes out but no current. The outside layer just depends on where and how it is going to be used. The outside layer will also be a good conductor of heat to allow the heat out. Whether it conducts electricity or not does not matter - there is no exposure to electrical current.

In wiring up heating globes and lights, you need to strip the electrical insulation from the ends of the wires. If excess insulation is stripped off this leaves bare wire exposed beyond the fitting. If the screw used to hold the wire in place is not tight, the lead can slip out enough to again expose bare wiring. Even if the screws are secure and holding the wires in place, many insulating layers on leads are soft enough to be compressed. So pulling on the lead can result in the insulation being pulled backwards, once again exposing live electrical wiring.

Blue

Have you bothered to check the weather on the same day as you measure you RH in the enclosure? You have an enclosed space, with a significant sized water body below a heating lamp. You are misting the enclosure. You have restricted air flow. Do you honestly believe that the RH 30 minutes after misting has fallen to 20% or less? If you are not prepared to check out the accuracy of the instrument you are using for measurements, then I would have to wish your reptiles luck.

A wet and dry bulb thermometer can be purchased quite cheaply and used to determine relative humidity, as per the instructions and tables that will come with it. Not difficult to use.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back