Bulging white eye on BHP

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Her sheds have always been really patchy. Ive been advised to give her regular warm baths to assist in softening the scales a bit to try get a clean shed. The Vet also said to go back to small feeds like pinkies more regularly to try get her weight up.

Her sheds have always been really patchy. Ive been advised to give her regular warm baths to assist in softening the scales a bit to try get a clean shed. The Vet also said to go back to small feeds like pinkies more regularly to try get her weight up.

Are there issues with her eating habits?

Sorry but pinky's will not get her weight up at all, keep feeding her the largest meal she can take.
What substate is she on ?? this could be contributing to the bad sheds. Her bad sheds most probably will have to do with bad hydration/humidity around shed time.

I can't understand a vet saying to pull back feeds to pinkies. What does she normally eat?

Only thing I can get her to eat are chicken necks, but I know they arnt as nutritious as rodents. I have tried mice and rats but she just hasnt been interested in them.

I have a bark type substrate in her enclosure, kind of looks like muched up fern bark.

Not a lot of nutrition in a chicken neck. Was she eating pinkies before the chicken necks?

Have you tried a rat after a chicken neck, whilst she in eating mode?

try a piece of chicken e.g. breast (a chunck to suit her size) and cut a small insision and stuff a pinkie in it and feed it to her.

If she can eat a chicken neck try week old quail, ditch the pinkie idea

Chicken necks are getting so common now as food items ,not a healthy diet at all
Try dipping a washed rat or mouse in home brand chicken noodle soup has worked for me

If you can get her feeding regime fixed, her sheds will probably improve.
Can you keep us posted on her feeds so we can assist you in getting her on the right track.
We are all (mostly) here to help so if you can keep us informed we can help you get her back to a normal weight.
How long has she been eating necks only?

yea mate necks are no good u have to get her on mice or rats idk if it will work as it is a bit different and with a different snake but try senting the mouse or rat with the neck i really dont know if this will work but when i whent from mice to rats with my jungle that i no longer have i had to scent the rat with the mouse i just rubbed them togeather i really dont know if it will work the same way but at the moment it looks like u can try anything u seem to care about ur snake so its something

good luck

The damage to the nose is from her striking at the glass when she was younger. I thought it would heal after a few sheds.
My bhp when young did the same thing to his nose scales looked just like yours all better now took bout a half dozen sheds

yea mate necks are no good u have to get her on mice or rats idk if it will work as it is a bit different and with a different snake but try senting the mouse or rat with the neck i really dont know if this will work but when i whent from mice to rats with my jungle that i no longer have i had to scent the rat with the mouse i just rubbed them togeather i really dont know if it will work the same way but at the moment it looks like u can try anything u seem to care about ur snake so its something

good luck

Thats a good idea. I defrost them by putting them in a sandwich bag and sitting it in the sun for an hour or so, so i might put a rat in there with it and see how she goes.

My bhp when young did the same thing to his nose scales looked just like yours all better now took bout a half dozen sheds

She started another shed yesterday and her snout is already looking much better.

Just an update, Turbo is MUCH better. Eye scale is a bit dry but vet says it will come off with next shed. Im applying daily ointment just to keep it soft tho.
As far as her appetite is concerned, 2 baby quails and 2 fuzzy rats in the last 12 days and she is much more active :) Thanks for your help, all.
View attachment 283125
Here is a happy little BHP with a full belly enjoying the heat lamp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back