Blue tongue mouth rot?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MontyTheBredl

Reaction score
Blue tongue mouth rot - Help!

Hey guys, we were given a blue tongue that has a really bad case of what I think is mouth rot? Im unsure of what to do, and was wondering if I should get it put down (rather not :cry:) or would anyone on the forum be willing to take it and help cure it? Its fully grown around 50cm. I am in Geelong

Attachments

• 09022013788.jpg
    09022013788.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 463
Last edited:
just bumping this thead so this guy can get the help he needs!
Vet trip asap, any info from experienced keepers in the meantime?
Cheers

A little more important than will there be mantis at expo or name my doberman (no offence to anyone)

Far out!! I never seen anything like that!!

Have you prised open the mouth for a look? It doesn't actually look typical of mouth rot in that there's no cheesy crap and blood.

It looks more like haemorrhaging of the gums from being hit, perhaps?

I would see how much of that crap can be removed from the mouth and go from there, but this would be best done by an EXPERIENCED reptile vet.

Last edited:
he needs to see a vet and the vet can tell you whether it can survive or if it needs to be put down.

i had a dragon with mouth rot and the vet gave me anti biotics for it, cleaned its mouth and gave me some mouth wash stuff to wash his mouth with.

some animals will do well with anti biotics and a mouth ointment to kill the bacteria.

i'd take him but i am too far.

Unfortunately I vet is definitely out of the question :( I'm only 16 and cant afford that, my dad definitely cant either. I really would love to but I cant :( I haven't looked inside, its kinda bulgey, a little bloody in some spots. Poor fella, it looks so painful for him

Can't you just surrender it to the vet and say you found it on the side of the road or something?

You should be able surrender the animal to a vet like Burnerism said! You need to get it some help one way or another

They should treat it to the best of their ability and pass in on to parks and wildlife to re-home or release (if you say you found it). Don't just leave the poor thing, it may be completely treatable as blueys are bloody hardy things

"Stomatis" l believe one thing that will help (indirectly) chase up an eye dropper, fill it with water and put it well into his mouth and squeeze the contents down his throat as he/she will be badly dehydrated whether its obvious or not .. :) solar 17

Either way, injury or infection it will need anti biotics. Certainly a look from a vet.
The animal actually looks to be (from what I can see from the photo) other then the obvious problem... to be in really good health. Which means it could be a recent injury, but there is no indication on top of the head for it to be a crush injury. If it is mouth rot, at that stage, I would expect the animal to look in worse condition. It could be a tumor, like an agressive cancer, in which case euthanasia is probably best.
Take it to a herp vet (if you can), and give them a call a day or so later to find out how they went. Tell them you would be happy to release it where you found it if it recovers... Alternatively, you could take it to a wildlife rescue and rehab organisation if you know of one nearby, they may even come and pick it up.

There is absolutely nothing you can do for this lizard. Pass it on to a vet or wildlife care group immediately if you want to give it a chance of survival.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back