Advice wanted with baby spotted python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bon_skye

Reaction score
Hi all just wanting advice i have a baby spotted python (1 month old), and she is bit snappy i have held her twice the second time i held her she jsut looked at my hand and bit me witch made me jump. Its also my first snake. I was just wondering if anyone has any pointers on how to get her used to me and not bite me. Thanks

I got my spotted when he was 4months old. Was pretty snappy, just going to take time. Let it settle in and get use to its new surroundings for a week or two. Then when its eating well maybe start handling it for a few mins a day and gradually longer as the snake gets older. My spotted is now 8 months old and is placid as. Just takes time.

Keep her well fed, minimalise handling and as she ages, she will settle down.

The more food in mines stomachs the better behaved she is :) I was the same when i got mine but i have found she most her bites were a food resposnse as she seemes to 'sniff' my hand first then slowly move into bite and when i started feeding her more she was better. Whats she eating?

Baby snakes bite, it's just what they do. At that age I doubt they would even break the skin just yet so it's more the shock of how fast they do it. Once you get bitten a few times it stops being so scary :)

You probably haven't had her for long. Give her some time to settle in before handling her. At one month old, making sure she's eating reliably is the most important thing. If she's too stressed, she won't. From what I've seen on this site, spotteds are often cranky when they're little. When they get bigger, most calm down.

Have you got photos? Everyone here loves to see pictures of baby snakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back