Do you ever feed refused items to other Pythons in your collection?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobe404

AussiePythons Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm talking about food that has just been offered, not something that has been left in another Python enclosure overnight.
I never used to, but i do these days. Saves wasting food. Especially when it becomes quite expensive once you get into larger Rats or Rabbits.
Are there any negatives to this do you think?

Thanks.

Well it sucks when you go to feed your Jungle it's first 130-200g Rat and it is refused, especially the fact this is it's first time refusing any food items.

Could just be the timing, as it appears to be darkening up. But then it's never refused food coming up to shed before, maybe it really was just too big.
It's taken two Weaner Rats before pretty easily though so it's a bit odd.

But the negative (if you could call it that)? My MD has now had 260-400g worth of food in four days. Depends how you look at it I suppose, she'll just be growing very quickly.
Already at least 4ft and only 13 months old.

I was thinking more along the lines of passing something from one Python to the other though.

I wouldn't offer an item to an animal in quarantine, then offer it to one of my other snakes. But that's about it really, in my house, dead things never get wasted. It's either fed to the snakes or the ferrets :)

If my young Bredli or my Spotted have refused a feed, I feed it to my BHP, she gets quite happy :lol:

However I have had these guys for many months and know that there is no diseases/worms etc to passed on to snake from snake. And have not had a problem.

I wouldn't feed a rat that was offered to a snake I had just gotten to one of my other snakes though. AKA Quarantine :p

If my young Bredli or my Spotted have refused a feed, I feed it to my BHP, she gets quite happy :lol:

However I have had these guys for many months and know that there is no diseases/worms etc to passed on to snake from snake. And have not had a problem.

I wouldn't feed a rat that was offered to a snake I had just gotten to one of my other snakes though. AKA Quarantine :p

Nah, I've had all my Pythons for over six months. So all good in that regard.

Has any one lost an adult perentie caught it in NSW lol

I have a theory that goes "if we rufuse food that in our opinion smells, looks or tastes out of the ordinary then why can't our pets do the same thing", the only way they can transmit this is to refuse to eat it, in the past if my big girl refused to eat something i would put it into a vacuum pack and refrigerate it till the next day, then try it again, and if it refused again i would bin that food item and then spend some time checking for other underlying problems, there might not be anything wrong with the food but i am not willing to take the chance that because of my insistance i made my good friend sick, just the way i am i suppose...................................................Ron

Definitely:) I buy from a reputable breeder now that I don't breed my own and have no probs offering to another. Of course only those in my herp room not in quarantine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We always feed the stimsons first then the BHP then garbage guts ( Coastal ) . thats what we call the fussy order . And always the male stimson first he is our worst eater .
The other reason is that we feed them longest owned first to last !!

I have a couple of fussy buggers so i split my feed up over two days, fussy first day then the reliable garbage guts bhps the next. That way there is no wastage.

What you are really asking has really been covered though. Dont offer food to your healthy collectio that has been offered to either sick animals or any in quarrantine. This also goes for quarrantined animals to quarrantined animals.
If you have any doubts about the health of the animal refusing the feed, bin the food item.

My monitors love any left over feed items and they are not fussy at all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back