BHP advice for beginner.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Randman

Reaction score
I've found this forum invaluable over the last couple of months and want some advice on how I should approach my entry into the world of herp.

I have researched and researched and I'm convinced that the snake I want is a Black Headed Python.

Most people have told me that I should start out with a hatchling, watch it grow, etc but to be honest the thought of waiting a number of years to get a fully grown snake doesn't appeal. I would happily do this with a second snake, essentially I would like to start with a grown snake that handles well.

Can anybody give me some good advice on whether a grown BHP would make a good first snake?

Being the owner of a BHP I think you should get a hatchling. They grow so fast it's unbelievable. So you get to
see them small and cute and also learn their mannerisms and personality. Each to their own tho. If you get an adult
you will be starting with a large very strong animal that you wont understand the idiosyncrasies of.

Probaly not, womas are a great opinion. Basically the same snake without the black head and also generally a lot tame the black heads.

Agreed. An adult bhp IMO is not for a beginner. Maybe try a spotted python if you don't want a small snake to begin. Or if your heart's set then get a hatchling bhp. I've been tagged by a cage agressive adult bhp before and its not fun. I wouldn't recommend it but its up to you.

If you put yourself in a situation where you make a mistake as a bigginer and you have an adult tag your face you'd be in a spot of trouble and I would ask you please post a photo :)

better off to start with a hatchy and getting accustomed to it,rather than getting a full grown black headed as they are quite big

Hi mate, being a massive BHP enthusiast and owning 1 (Alot more to come). I got my girl at 1 year old and was really happy that she wasn't a hatchling but wasn't completely massive either and I still get to see her mature and grow up.

I would recommend either a hatchling - 2 year old if you are going to go a BHP for your first snake. I really do agree with Darlyn though, a hatchy or yearling is probably more suitable as you get to see them and get to know them before they become a decent size.

Just my advice and opinion, others will probably be different.

I personally love the black heads for their black heads, so a Woma to me is just out of the question. They are really good snakes though, don't get me wrong.

Do what going to make u you happy.
If you going to buy an adult bhp make sure to handle it a bit before you purchase it.
make sure its not too big for u to handle if you are comfortable with it go for it .

My first snake was a BHP and I got one that was 18 months old, about 4ft. I was happy with this as it allowed me to get used to his personality while still small but being a bit bigger, he was not at all snappy like some hatchies can be. As has been mentioned, they grow pretty quick so you wont have a small snake for long.

If it is your first snake I would not encourage you to get an adult. They are big, strong snakes and if you get one that is a bit fiesty it can be pretty intimidating.

Thank you so much for your quick replies.
Perhaps a yearling may be a decent option for me at this stage, I see a reasonable amount of people selling hatchlings. What would be my best bet for getting a good quality yearling BHP and I'd probably consider a hatchie at the same time.

For those that have experience keeping the BHP I would like to setup the enclosure big enough for when the snake is fully matured.

Any advice on this in terms of size and setup?
If I had two of them can they be kept together? I'm assuming this may be reliant on them being of a similar size and perhaps not both being males?

I've done a little research on them but it doesn't join the dots with answers to questions like that.

Um, don't keep them together they are reptile eaters, bad move.

Thank you so much for your quick replies.
Perhaps a yearling may be a decent option for me at this stage, I see a reasonable amount of people selling hatchlings. What would be my best bet for getting a good quality yearling BHP and I'd probably consider a hatchie at the same time.

For those that have experience keeping the BHP I would like to setup the enclosure big enough for when the snake is fully matured.

Any advice on this in terms of size and setup?
If I had two of them can they be kept together? I'm assuming this may be reliant on them being of a similar size and perhaps not both being males?

I've done a little research on them but it doesn't join the dots with answers to questions like that.

Your welcome :)

I went to Snake Ranch for my yearling BHP, not sure on anyone else who sells them, sorry mate.

My enclosure is 6ft long x 2ft High x 2ft Deep. She seems to really like the space to stretch out and be herself.
Setup - Go to Dolittle Farms website, they have heaps of fact sheets on there and their one is what I have gone off of.
No snake or reptile for that matter should really be kept together, they are usually solitary animals and not very good living together. BHP's especially are notorious for eating other reptiles and being cannibalistic.

Your welcome :)

I went to Snake Ranch for my yearling BHP, not sure on anyone else who sells them, sorry mate.

My enclosure is 6ft long x 2ft High x 2ft Deep. She seems to really like the space to stretch out and be herself.
Setup - Go to Dolittle Farms website, they have heaps of fact sheets on there and their one is what I have gone off of.
No snake or reptile for that matter should really be kept together, they are usually solitary animals and not very good living together. BHP's especially are notorious for eating other reptiles and being cannibalistic.

Thank you. I'll chase up those references. I feel I'm nearing a comfortable level of knowledge before getting started.
Only reason I asked about keeping together was that I read somewhere where somebody stated they kept a breeding pair together on a permanent basis. Just wondered whether it was more widely practiced.

Fully grown id go 6ft long x 2 x 2 minimum

Keep in mind length is far more important then height for this breed.

In saying that i wouldn't put a yearling in it. Its too big. They need to feel safe and secure. With too much space you run a risk of stressing the little tacker out which then opens
up to more problems. You wouldnt put a 1yr old child in a king size room with an ensuite :)

As for keeping them together. Dont. Plain and simple. If one doesnt eat the other then like dogs one will assert dominance taking the basking spot and hides to itself leaving the other cold, open and will most probably cause death.

Southern cross reptiles may have some left. Look them up. They freight Australia wide. Also Greg prostamo may have some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back