sneezing shingleback

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

princessparrot

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
my shingleback has been sneezing alot lately:shock: and one of his eyes is really watery(its like hes crying)
hes also breathing really heavily sometimes with his head up.

he also seems to be shedding.

also he was infested with mites when i got him just after christmas, if that has anything to do with it(i've got rid of them now)

im just kind of worried about him.
is he ok? :(

Most likely a respitory infection. Take the water bowl out the enclosure, offerring it a drink every few days and bump up the heat. Wouldn't hurt to take it to the nearest herp vet for a dose of anti-biotics, especially if the condition worsens.

Most likely a respitory infection. Take the water bowl out the enclosure, offerring it a drink every few days and bump up the heat. Wouldn't hurt to take it to the nearest herp vet for a dose of anti-biotics, especially if the condition worsens.

Exactly what I was thinking.

+1

So sorry to here Princess Parrot. I'd change the substrate to newpaper, just to make sure no loose substrate gets stuck to his eye or goes into his mouth, etc. If he's shedding would baths possibly help? I literally know nothing about shingles :p Take him to the vet and get some anti-biotics into him. Best of luck! :)

i was thinking it might be that :cry: , can they die from it?
im using shredded paper at the moment, should i seperate him from the female?

would the reptile shop in kambah be any good?

Last edited:
If untreated, reptiles can die from it. Best to get him to a vet asap. I'm not familar with the canberra area (Sorry I can't help!)

Is RI contagious??? sorry I'm not to sure but just to be on the safe side I would seperate them. Try using flat newspaper so you can monitor and see if any gunk/blood, etc is coming out of him.

shingles are prone to RI moreso than the other skinks because they love dry desert conditions. Yes they can definately die from it and it can be contagious in the fact that immuno suppressed animals will get it. definately go to a reptile vet. Warmth, meds and a clean home and hopefully your shingle will be on the mend

Also, Shinglebacks are found in Canberra's west and out towards Yass, though all specimens are melanistic (black in colour). So, depending on where your animal originated, you may be able to house it outside over the warmer months (have a chat to Pete Childs about this).

Good luck with the recovery; isolate, keep warm and away from humidity/dampness...perhaps you can avoid meds if it's not to far gone.

PP - As everyone else has said, sounds like RI and you should take a trip to a Reptile vet asap.

Once you get it all sorted I don't see a problem with keeping them outside in the warmer or colder months really.
As long as they have some nice warm spots to hide or take cover in just like they would in the wild. They would be used to very cold temperatures in their natural environment anyway.

Also, Shinglebacks are found in Canberra's west and out towards Yass, though all specimens are melanistic (black in colour)
This might sound silly, but do you mean all Shinglebacks are Black or just the ones located in that area? Cause' I have seen orange-red ones in person.

PP -
This might sound silly, but do you mean all Shinglebacks are Black or just the ones located in that area? Cause' I have seen orange-red ones .
just the ones around canberra, cause black heats up quicker

ok, so i took him to the reptile place and he does have an infection :( just waiting for the vet to call back.
not really too impressed with who i got the off, with him both infested by mites and an infection:evil:

thanks, i hope so too.
but now i've found out he isnt eating and underweight
i feel even more worried, cause he's had it for so long :(
not such a good start to herping though

Last edited:
ok, hes slowly starting to eat again and gain weight ;) im so happy he's getting better :D

i was so worried

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back