Ideas/ Opinions?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

imported_Varanus

Finished the foundations for the outdoor Lacie cage:). I have two sections of 2.4M x 4.8M. I'm considering an aviary style enclosure but was after peoples opinions on glass panels and an open pit?

Attachments

• base finished! 001 [1600x1200].jpg
    base finished! 001 [1600x1200].jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 104
  • base finished! 004 [1600x1200].jpg
    base finished! 004 [1600x1200].jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 101
I'd love to but wouldn't even consider one unless I lived within their range and had a 10 M sq pit:)!

I'm more inclined to go with aviary style as I'm paranoid that my Lacie (Houdini) would find a way out. Also, I wouldn't want any birds swooping and pecking my lacie as they can be absolute *******s like that... Looks awesome by the way... Keep up the good work and update pics....

i have always though about this i personally i would go with a open pit, to stop the birds being able to swoop in you can use a clear very fine netting to put over the top, that restricts the birds from "swooping" from above birds, but as long as your lacey got places to hide i don't think birds will be a problem :)

Always wanted an open pit style for lacies but just wouldn't feel comfortale doing it in suburbia. Though as they say locking up cages is only to keep the honest out, if someone wants to steal your lizards they will do it regardless of if its in a cage or an open pit. So it is up to you. I used to have kookaburras swoop my lacey enclosure Pretty often, but if anything they would of been an extra feed if it was an open pit, as was the experience of someone I knew who had an open pit. An open pit with glass panels all around would be something , sounds pricey though.

I agree with Jeremy, birds could easily enough become an extra feed. I imagine glass would cost a small fortune but if you can afford it I don't think anything else would come close to it, it would look insane!! I look forward to seeing the end result regardless of how you decide to construct it.

Maybe glass panels just at the front where you will be viewing from would be an option.

was just thinking that jeremy, at my local bunnings i price up glass pool fencing at $99 per 1.5M sheet of glass? i thought that was very reasonable

Thanks for all the opinions, much appreciated:)! Perhaps a combination of glass and panels (universal Rock walls against the mesh), with perspex around the edge of the aviary panels to prevent them climbing out? That way, you could also provide a bit of climbing opportunity and a covered site during inclement weather.

IV u can also try grays online who are a fantastic online auction site.

They always have building supplies ans the like at sometimes virtual giveaway prices.

Just a little bit of bidding that's all.........I know u can get perspex pool fencing panels and spigots to match.

It's worth a look.

was just thinking that jeremy, at my local bunnings i price up glass pool fencing at $99 per 1.5M sheet of glass? i thought that was very reasonable

The glass is a bad price but check out the cost of the fittings used to install it. Some of the brackets are around a hundred dollars a pair.

The glass is a bad price but check out the cost of the fittings used to install it. Some of the brackets are around a hundred dollars a pair.

The ones I'm thinking of come with a stainless steel bracket included (well I hope it's in the price?).

Thanks guys!

The ones I'm thinking of come with a stainless steel bracket included (well I hope it's in the price?).

Thanks guys!

yer i believe the fittings came with the one i was looking at, but wouldn't be surprised if they were separate. defiantly have a look next time :)

Doesn't your lacey already have a bedroom and doona to itself? Does it really need its own she-cave? :p

Front panels for Pseudechis, I will fold up the fixtures to fit what I am after. Plan is to use them as a bottom viewing panel within a covered enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back