my latest keelback vivarium

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They do cost a lot to make. I got the tank for nothing but the silicon, expanda foam filters heaters lights false floor plants etc ended up around $800
It took months of planning and testing but I recon I could mek one in two weeks now.
I dont think I would do a complete one for less then $2000 but if the lights filter heater gravel and plants were things the buyer could do then you could cut that price down quite a lot.
I would love to do a tall one for tree snakes or angle headed dragons. The tank would be costly though.

that is an awesome enclosure!!!
thanks for sharing

Thanks guys. I have to say this enclosure and its inhabitants have brought my interest back into the herp room. After breeding for years it was a new challenge and a pleasure to watch them in a natural environment (as natural as you can get in captivity)

I'm certainly getting drawn towards keeping less animals but keeping them in more naturalistic enclosures. More upkeep and all that but very satisfying and relaxing, particularly if you have an interest in plants as well. This will look even more stunning when the plants are grown in.

Awesome stuff! I'm in the process of doing similar for my EWDs, but LARGE scale. It's costing me a gorilla or more, and taken 12months so far, builds like yours keep me inspired!

great to here what plants you've used. Any other helpful sites you found? It's hard finding relevant info!

I'm in the process of upgrading my keelback enclosure, your tank has given me some good ideas

A quick not for anybody doing this setup. The cherry shrimp pull the psat moss off the ezpanda foam so you will need to use pebbles or dont use shrimp.

A quick not for anybody doing this setup. The cherry shrimp pull the psat moss off the ezpanda foam so you will need to use pebbles or dont use shrimp.

I had freshwater shrimp in a tropical aquarium, they destroyed the plants, and catch and killed fish regularly too. Entertaining seeing them stalk sleepy fish at night, but sucked when they got a good fish!

The cherry shrimp are only 1cm as adults so they should be harmless to the fish. I was hoping they would keep the tank clean of algae but they took a liking to the peat moss. Its an easy fix.

- - - Updated - - -

A question for the fish keepers out there. What size bulkhead do you use on your external canister filters and do you need to adapt it for the standard hose? For this one I drilled 22mm holes in the glass and passed the hose straight through. Then siliconed it in.. It is well above water level so no fear of leaking but would like a setup where I can replace the tubing easily if need be.

Bump
Any update shots of the plant growth?

For your bulkhead/through wall fittings check out hansen fittings at creativepumps.com.au.
Should be a size to suit your holes.

It took months of planning and testing but I recon I could mek one in two weeks now.

That's incredible. How big is the actual tank? Can the enclosure be easily moved or do you have to assemble & disassemble when you move?

That's incredible. How big is the actual tank? Can the enclosure be easily moved or do you have to assemble & disassemble when you move?

Thanks for the compliments.
To move the enclosure I would need to drain the water and remove the gravel. It is still heavy but can be moved with two people. The size of the tank is 120cm x 45cm x 45cm.
There have been a few learning curves biilding this enclosure. Lesson one is dont put shrimp in as they remove all the peat moss below water level exposing silicon and foam substructure. I will need to cover that up with more gravel. The plants are all growing well. Its omly been a few weeks and some have doubled in size. I will give updated pics in a couple of weeks.

Bump
Any update shots of the plant growth?

For your bulkhead/through wall fittings check out hansen fittings at creativepumps.com.au.
Should be a size to suit your holes.

Thanks for the link. I will check it out
plants are doing really well on land and in the water. After just a few weeks the water plants are going to need pruning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back