Diamonds Eyes...Help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyper

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I noticed there was something strange with my diamonds eyes and today it looks like the flesh around the eye is starting to cover it or the eyes are sinking back or something. Its happening on both eyes. I have her booked into the vet on Monday, but am worried it might get worse before then. She has been to the vet several times since November as she pulled a scale off her nose and it turned into an absyss, but that is virtually healed now. Has anyone had or seen anything like it before? Any possibilities as to what may be causing it?

Attachments

• DSCF9087.jpg
    DSCF9087.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 102
  • DSCF9090.jpg
    DSCF9090.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 99
She has a small water bowl in with her constantly, although she also used to have a large bowl to soak in, but since her nose she spent alot of extra time in there, only time she spent out was to bask so she gets it periodically now. I put it in last night and she spent the whole night in it.

might want to check that bowl for mites, soft area around the eyes can become inflamed, but that looks pretty excessive...

Yeah I'd have a look for mites. My Jungle recently had them and he looked similar (but not as bad). I think it comes from the constant soaking making the soft tissue swell

Oh god there were mites. I haved cleaned everything and sprayed with mite spray, is there anything I can do for her eyes, will just getting rid of the mites help or will she need antibiotics or something? Thanks for the replies.

When the mites are gone, her eyes will soon go back to normal

While we are on this... I'm a little worried about my female MDs eyes. Sorry Hyper I don't mean to hijack your thread, but i thought rather than make a whole new one.

IMAG0438.jpg

It's like a blue/white tinge at the bottom left of the eye. She has been in her water bowl for the last two days. I thought she may just be shedding, but before this I could of sworn her eyes were black with a white sort of dot in the middle.

I agree with Cockney. A bad case of mites will have them feeding on the soft flesh around the eye sockets. Enough of them will cause swelling. If you were careful and delicate, you could scrap quite a few out from around the eye, but this isn't necessary. They will emerge at night and that's when the T.O.D will kill them quickly.

Another reason why the flesh around the eyes will become enfamed is when the spectacles haven't shed with the rest of the skin for the last 2/3 (or more) sheds.

It's basically the same symptoms. Have you checked for mites as well?

Haven't really felt the need to until I noticed her eyes changing. All three enclosures are due for a thoughrer clean out anyway so now might as well be the time. I hope her eyes clear up soon afterwards. She still seems to be able to see fine.

Mine has definately shed her eye spectacles, I check every shed. I'm guessing its the mites, which has now been treated, but will keep the vet appointment in case it doesnt clear up.
Thanks for that info Serpenttongue, i was a bit worried about the mites staying in the eyes as you cant spray her. Not going to scrape as I don't want to hurt her.
Tobe404 Thats exactly how mine looked before it got worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back