Please help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eastcoastmarsh

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Can anyone help me out here. My beardie has a black beard, sunken eyes, and is lathargic?
Please reply so I can give you more details?

is he eating as normal?
What are you feeding him?
what heating are you using?
those answers should help :)

Not that I can help but if you have more details then I think it would be in your best interest to give as much information as possible of you are going to get some good help.

Hi, thank you so much for your reply. I have tried a few other sites and people would rather view the thread and not try and help me out.
He is still eating, although not as much as he should.
He has not been under a UVB for over 12 months, I have only had him for 3. He has always been healthy. I am going to buy a UV set up tomorrow and see if that perks him up a bit. I was told by a local vet that setting his tank up somewhere where there is enough sun but still enough shade is still healthy, is this correct? If so, that's where he's been set up. His diet is mostly crickets and greens etc. although he does get the occasional christmas beetle which he loves. His diet has not changed since I got him. Right now, his body is warm, though his mouth is cold. He seems to feel a little better though in a warm bath at the moment. His beard is black and his eyes are not looking much healthier.

Forgot to mention, the only changes he has had is a new carpet. He was sitting on sand before, and I have recently lined his tank up with some artificial grass, though it is not long enough for him to bite and eat, could that have changed something to do with his health?

i wouldn't wet him at night because as soon as you put him back he will get really cold.
do you dust any food with vitamin or calcium supplements? and UVA and UVB are very import ants when keeping these dragons, so get on that!

Yes. A local vet told me that keeping his tank in the sun where he has majority sunny, and still enough shade will be adequate to a UV lamp and that I did not need one if I was doing this.

Also, how long do you think my beardie would last in this state? I don't know how long it is going to take to organise the correct heating because it has to be posted to me

The tank has four glass walls and a mesh roofing, the sun sits directly on top of the tank. He also spends a good amount of time in the back yard. I have a mesh set up outside so he can eat grass and bugs and whatever else. Even with this amount of sun, does he still need more UV?

He hasn't had artificial light for more than 12 months, I got him from a person who had no idea, they kinda just thought he was like a guinea pig, you just leave him in there, feed him, give him water.
Someone has just told me they could organise a fitting for me tomorrow, although getting the correct bulb might be a problem until monday.
He gets fed at about 8:30-9 in the morning and then in the sun all day

Out of town, I live nearest to Bundaberg. There are no vets open tomorrow, and the same deal with pet shops. Most of the vets have been flood affected and aren't going to open for some time.

Needs UAV .. It could have an infection.. I lost a Beardie not long back. Get to the vets.

It needs uv asap . Or will die. In fue week. Sorry. 4 being blunt

Why is everyone ignoring the fact that this beardie has been kept in an outdoor enclosure with a mesh top? The original poster also mentioned letting the critter spend some time in a fully mesh enclosure on the grass in the backyard occasionally. Sunlight is by far superior to artificial light, in my opinion. If everything that's been said is true, I can't see how lack of UV could be the issue here.

eastcoastmarsh has also said that a vet isn't an option right this second, as they are closed over the weekend, perhaps longer due to flooding. If you're going to respond, please read what's been said first..

Can any beardy experts chime in with any suggestions to keep the little fella going until he can get to a vet? Surely someone can suggest something that might help slow down the issue until he can get proper help.

Chin up, eastcoastmarch, keep offering the little guy food and water (especially any favourite foods he may have). Have you ever offered him any fruit? Something sweet might catch his attention. We used to feed pieces of fruit to some eastern water dragons around where I used to live, and they LOVED it, might be a similar deal with your critter. Also wouldn't hurt to grab some calcium and vitamin supplements to mix a small amount in with some of his meals (could be a deficiency in something).
Keep him warm, and try to keep him from dehydrating, dehydration can kill quickly. Sunken eyes are one symptom of dehydration, and may be the cause of your beardy's unhealthy looking eyes. Maybe try misting him a little (during the day when the sun's up so he doesn't become too cold) to see if he'll drink some of the little droplets. I don't have any experience with beardies, so that's the best I can do. Hopefully the little guy pulls through this.

Any chance you could supply us with some pictures? Might help some of the more experienced beardy keepers give you some answers.

Good luck! Keep us updated.

x

Last edited:
How much outside time does he get, on average, per week? By outside, I mean outside the tank, in the sun. If he's getting sunlight, lack of UV might not be the problem (or the only problem).

Is he getting calcium and vitamin supplements? How much are you giving him?

It could have an infection.. I lost a Beardie not long back. Get to the vets.

An infection is also a possibility. Because they can go downhill very quickly, it is advisable to go to the vet. I understand that you may not have many vets that are open in Bundaberg right now, but maybe someone here can point you in the right direction.

You may not get a vet who's familiar with reptiles. He or she should run blood tests to check for infection and calcium levels. Ask for Fortum, which seems to be the antibiotic of choice for beardies. They should tell you the dose and give you instructions on how to use it.

If you have some pictures of your beardie and your beardie's set-up, that would also help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back