Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowballlz

Reaction score
Rutherford, New South Wales, Australia, Australia
Jungle Python morphs? First snake.

Ok so I've studied an awful lot and have finally decided on my first snake a Jungle python mainly for size and they look pretty.

the problem I'm having is finding out what the actual jungles look like and not Jags or X's (still not 100% sure what a jag is)

The colouring that I fell In love with is black/grey and cream with a semi-striped pattern also brown and tan, are these standard issue patterns and colours? Or at least available and not some sort of cross.
any info would be much apappreciated.

snowy...

also side note the names pinky and the brain are reserved :D

Last edited:
Jags are a reduced pattern morph with an inbuilt neuro defect, as the morph didn't originate in Jungles, any Jungle Jags are crosses.

Pure jungles come in a variety of colours from black, brown, yellow, tan, gold, white and just about anything in between. Traditionally the high black and yellows and black and whites with a clean pattern are the most desirable but in the end that is all subjective.

If you're after brown/tan or grey Carpets, you might want to look into Murray Darlings (Morelia spilota metcalfei) as that is more their natural colouring. Otherwise, if you're set on a Jungle, maybe Julatten locality Jungles would be your best bet.

ok thanks for explaining jags for me, makes a bit more sense now. some people advertise as jags others advertise as jungle jags.

saximus, the MD was the other python that I was considering so maybe that may be the way to go, are they a climing species? because the enclose I was designing was 1200high x 600 x 600. if not I may hafto go back to the drawing board.
those Julatten jungles are realy beautifull, I think it may be down to how the cards are dealt at the expo next month

Unfortunatley there is so many people selling off Jungle Jag sibs as pure Jungles or jag sibs as pure coastals that we wont buy carpets of people who own and breed them. There may well be honest people but unless they are a close personal friends who we know all their animals we just wont do it. It has even gone into Albino Darwins. A friend of mine bought a male Albino Darwin from a well known breeder and he bred it to one of his normal Darwin females to get some diversity in his albinos. The offspring were nothing more that Darwin crosses and so obviously the Albino wasnt pure Darwin as it was sold as. He canned the male and had to sell off the Albino offspring from his Albino females in bulk to a pet shop as albino carpets and not Darwins.
It really is destroying this hobby and people like us who value purity in our animals are left with decisions about who we deal with. Its sad.

Jungles have a reputation for being snappy so just be aware if you decide to go down that route. In saying that I know a couple that are very placid. Black and grey are fairly standard colours for julatten jungles. If you get a chance have a look at the "the jungle thread". It will give you an idea of what is out there.

Jungles have a reputation for being snappy so just be aware if you decide to go down that route. In saying that I know a couple that are very placid. Black and grey are fairly standard colours for julatten jungles. If you get a chance have a look at the "the jungle thread". It will give you an idea of what is out there.

I just typed a full text and my bird just deleted it ***!!

any way, so to sum it up Jullattens are beutiful and i want one :) brown/tan and Black/grey and white are on my top priority now, also i understand they are known for being snappy but i think i can handle that.
what should i be looking for at the expo? as they change so much from hatchlings. should the breeder have the parents there or atleast photos and will they be named as julattens?
are there any specific things in a hatchling that i should be looking for? also feed/shed records are they somthing the breeder will/should have? chances of getting a male and a female?

sorry for the 21Q but I realy wanto get this right the first time. I'm even going to start making their click clacks this week so that by the time the expo comes around they are tried and tested.

If you go to the expo and they don't have what you want, don't feel pressured into buying something that doesn't excite you. You will end up regretting an impulse buy.

There are many breeders that have julattens including members on here. A good breeder will have full feed and shed records. Make sure it is an established feeder, so one that has had at least half a dozen unassisted feeds.

Most breeders will happily show you photos of the parents or possibly have them on display at the expo. Most with locality specific animals will label them as such but if you aren't sure ask.

Make sure you buy from a reputable breeder who will give you after purchase support if any problems should arise.

As for what you should look for, well look for one with a pleasing pattern that you like. You can generally get an idea of what colour they will be from their parents.

Once again don't rush into it, eventually you will find one that clicks. And I really do recommend looking at "the jungle thread", not all of it just maybe the pages from this breeding season. And most of all have fun. Pythons are wonderful, addictive pets.

thanks for all the answers, I wouldnt say I'm suseptible to impulse buying but if I've gone out with the intention of buying something I will 99% of the time come home with something even if its not what I went out to get...... so I will come home with something haha maybe a nice poster :D
Ok thats good to hear that they should have records, I'll make sure to ask questions about their feeds anyway.
What would be considerd after purchace support? like if I have feeding problems or something?

the Jungle thread has been invaluable for seeing all the diffent colour combos, the Julattens are definantly the way I'm heading. I'm probably going to aim for black and white or tan or both :D

I can see myself owning more, might hafto wait a while though as my fiance isnt exactly a fan....

Unfortunatley there is so many people selling off Jungle Jag sibs as pure Jungles or jag sibs as pure coastals that we wont buy carpets of people who own and breed them. There may well be honest people but unless they are a close personal friends who we know all their animals we just wont do it. It has even gone into Albino Darwins. A friend of mine bought a male Albino Darwin from a well known breeder and he bred it to one of his normal Darwin females to get some diversity in his albinos. The offspring were nothing more that Darwin crosses and so obviously the Albino wasnt pure Darwin as it was sold as. He canned the male and had to sell off the Albino offspring from his Albino females in bulk to a pet shop as albino carpets and not Darwins.
It really is destroying this hobby and people like us who value purity in our animals are left with decisions about who we deal with. Its sad.
I hope you don't mean what I think you mean by canned the male

Pure B&W Julatten Jungle (Reduced Pattern) I bred, not a morph though...
looking a bit dirty at the moment as he's coming up for a shed..

Attachments

• julatten.jpg
    julatten.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 317
Pure B&W Julatten Jungle (Reduced Pattern) I bred, not a morph though...
looking a bit dirty at the moment as he's coming up for a shed..

Thats a very nice looking snake you have there. Just a question as you seem familiar with the jungle python :) would a 15 liter click clack be ok for a hatchling jungle untill I have finished of his enclosure? I wouldnt image he would be in there for more than a month or two.

Thats a very nice looking snake you have there. Just a question as you seem familiar with the jungle python :) would a 15 liter click clack be ok for a hatchling jungle untill I have finished of his enclosure? I wouldnt image he would be in there for more than a month or two.

A 15L would be more than big enough for a few months at least, for an average sized hatchling. I keep jungles up to 1.5 years in a 30-40L tub, they are quite content with branches, a hide, bowl etc. After that they're upgraded to a more full sized enclosure.

A 15L would be more than big enough for a few months at least, for an average sized hatchling. I keep jungles up to 1.5 years in a 30-40L tub, they are quite content with branches, a hide, bowl etc. After that they're upgraded to a more full sized enclosure.

good to hear, I shall start building then. what size hide? I have some small baskets that take up about a 1/3 of the click clack, or is that a bit of over kill?

Probably a bit of an overkill, just supply something that fits pretty cosily - they feel safer in a nice small hides that fits them well. =

Snow-
Cheap and easily cleaned hides can be made with a plastic plant pot saucer, turn it upside down and you will see. All you need to do is cut a small entrance big enough for the little fella to get in with a full belly.
The saucers come in a range of sizes so you can choose an appropriate size for now and upgrade as it grows. Then as an adult you could get a fancy one if thats more what you are after.

Tried reading this... Its like a crack head wrote it. It just doesnt make sence.

So was your edit an attempt at an apology?
I actually do know what I am talking about, and I have a far better than a basic gene understanding.
I stated that "A friend of mine bought a male Albino Darwin from a well known breeder and he bred it to one of his normal Darwin females to get some diversity in his albinos" He infact did. He bred it to more than one female in the same season including a normal Darwin female from non related bloodlines to the ones he had in his current albinos.
I then stated "The offspring were nothing more that Darwin crosses and so obviously the Albino wasnt pure Darwin as it was sold as" So I will explain this as maybe you lack understanding of hets maybe? A het from a normal Darwin to an Albino will look exactly the same as a normal Darwin. The hets he got looked like coastal x Darwin or something like that. Thus showing the Albino was not pure Darwin.
I then stated that he "had to sell off the Albino offspring from his Albino females in bulk to a pet shop as albino carpets and not Darwins." Now that seems pretty easy to understand. As he had bred the male albino to albino females he had to sell them off as not pure Darwins, and to a pet shop as he dosent keep mix carpets and he was not going to put his name to these albino offspring.

Not too difficult to understand, but in your haste to try and discredit what I had written you failed to read it correctly.
I dont mind when someone makes a mistake, we all do, but I do expect them to apologise, especially when they have tried to muddy someone elses reputation on a public forum.

I wrote the intial post on a blackberry so it might have been a little hard to read, so I will write it again.

Unfortunatly there are far too many breeders selling off Jungle Jag sibs as pure Jungles and Jag sibs as pure coastals. It has got to the point now that we will not buy carpets off anyone that breeds Jags, as we cannot be sure they are infact pure.

There may well be honest breeders who do keep correct records and give full disclosure to sibs they sell, but we wont risk it. If I see someone, even who is a well known breeder, selling a jungle that they say is "Pure" and they also breed Jags, we will not buy from them. Maybe I might buy from a friend where I know his animals and their history, maybe.

And it now isnt only Jag sibs, it is albinos as well that is an issue. There has been a move to get Jag albinos, why I dont know, and some of the albino jag sibs (albinos that are not jags but were bred to albino jags or het Jags) have been passed off as pure albino Darwins, and its not until they are crossed with normal Darwins where it is found out.

This type of dishonest practices is really damaging our hobby. Now obviously this will upset the Jag breeders, such as the one who attacked my original post, but it needs to be said.

For people like myself who value pure animals, it makes us more fussy and picky over who we will or wont buy carpets from.

This post makes no sense at all! You have no idea what you are talking about... Anybody that has basic gene understanding knows that breeding albino to a normal produces 100% hets (all wild type looking but all carry 1 mutated gene)! But yet you say "your mate" bred his male albino to his "normal" female and created albino offspring that he had to sell to a pet store cause they weren't pure??? Hmmm something doesn't fit right here...

Edit.... You jump from jags to albino male to normal females then to albino female...

Last edited:
... Deleted out of respect to the op, don't want to high jack his thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back