How soon can I feed by new hatchie?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LaDeDah

Reaction score
I picked up my new stimsons yesterday and am wondering how soon can I feed it, not handle him. He hasn't been fed since the 12th by the breeders and I would like to feed him tonight. Is that ok?

You can try..however generally most ppl will wait a week or two to give the snake time to settle etc..If it doesnt eat tonite if you try then wait a week or so..

You can offer but don't be surprised if he doesn't eat. General rule is leave them undisturbed for a week or two

Haha beat me to it Rebo

I would wait another couple of days, seeing its only being 6 days since last fed, my woma hadnt been feed in 2 weeks and i gave her a pinkie on the second day i got her. Try and feed her maybe Thursday.

Why wait, if it eats it eats, if not then what does it matter. It's not as if the snake is going to keel over just because you've offered it a feed.
My though is that maybe if they decide to eat when you get them they might settle in quicker.

no need to rush it, i've known spotted hatchies the go about 2-3 out of the egg until they get forced fed. He might eat and then regurge, i would wait a couple days....

I waited about two days before feeding my Jungle and six before feeding one of my MDs.
Both took their meals without a problem.

It's really personal preference how long you wait in my opinion. Having said that though, all snakes are different.

Some will take to being moved and put into a new anvironment in their stride and it wont bother them at all. Others can be a total pain and can be very fussy.

ive offered all my snakes alittle food item the day ive got them and all of them have taken big time (even after a plane journey)...just shows how much they r fed till sold (fully understandable tho ) as a breeder resposability is to get them feeding then off load and its a good idea not to feed for a couple weeks if travel is there destiny

My 2 new Baby spotties have been here 2 weeks now, both of them refused after the 1st week but now the female has taken 1 pinkie mouse but the male is still refusing, i am not too worried yet as the breeder fed them up pretty well before i got them, so will try again this weekend, as others have said some will eat str8 away and others might take awhile, as "The Devil" said what have you got to lose except 1 pinkie if you try now, who knows you might have 1 that has settled in quick and will eat now.................................................Ron

I've only had him for three-four days but he looked so hungry and was just wandering the cage flickering his tongue. I got the pinkie and opened the cage he got scared and slithered into his hidie hole. I held the pinkie in front of the hidie hole and didn't even think before he went for it. But he didn't try to constrict it he just ate it. is that normal?

Hi Naomi, yes that is normal, some snakes grab and constrict, others take it gently (My Spotted sometimes) and others you need to leave at their hide.
Sometimes you wriggle the pinkie a bit (when they have it, for at the most 3 seconds) to get their instinct constrict to kick in.
Would love to see a pic of your new hatchie :)

Photo

2013-02-17 15.27.56.jpg

Not the greatest picture. This was him on the way home he has settled in now. When I sit at my desk he comes out to say hello then he goes back in haha. I think I'm going to enjoy this little fella ;) Welcome Homer Stimsons!

Also as a stimsons, is his belly meant to be a tan/brown or patterned like his back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back