Another Case of Neglect/Uneducation.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

davobmx

Reaction score
A friend of mine is now caring for a SW carpet python he received of a guy who bought a one way ticket to Brisbane.
He called me over to come check it out, and it was quite the surprise.
He told me he was around 6 years old and due for a feed, I got there and the python was not even a meter long and weighed 360gms.
He then showed me what the previous owner had been feeding,
9atejy7u.jpg

He has been feeding this poor snake 10gm hopper mice once a week for 4-5years.
I knew this snake would be so incredibly hungry and weak, I got him out to check him out and he was an incredibly coloured/patterned python and surprisingly tame, only bit my mate once when first receiving him.
I did notice that his body and muscles felt funny, obviously to do with nutrition.
I also noticed he had a very short stumpy tail, as if it had been cut off.
amyrugyq.jpg

I was quite busy and didn't get great photos.
udavajy6.jpg

We where unable to get him rats yesterday arvo so we fed him chicken neck just cause we thought a solid feed might help him settle in.
I just don't understand how someone can keep a python, name it, give it a reasonable setup but not want or never bother to properly understand ther needs.
I have more photos to post but they are on my GFs phone.

Poor thing, hopefully it gets a better home now.

I took in a spotted, similar state where it was underfed ect. and the guy didn't want it as it was 'snappy'. Thing is as calm as can be after a good feed. Hopefully, this little one turns out just as good.

Ah poor fella. Stunning snake, amazing someone can even have the thought to do that to it. Oh well sounds like he'll be all good now as he seems to be in much better care.
Best of luck with him and hope he puts on some size and weight as he is very beautiful.

Yeah I'm going through similar deal. Spotted python. Was told he was an early hatchling in November. Pffttt yeah right. Was super snappy & constantly wandering his enclosure so I spoke to a good breeder. She figured he is a yearling that was mega underfed. Since November he has gone from eating pinky mice to rats & is now about 70cm long & fatter than my thumb & is still trying to smash my fingers & eat me every time I come near him lol.

Oh, gees. Poor snake. He's pretty, I hope you and your friend can get him healthy and catching up on growth soon. Keep us updated on his progress.

Poor little guy :( My bet is that the tail has been stunted or the tip has died off as a result of an incomplete shed. He does look quite pretty though, at least he's in good hands now :)

Its thing like this that frustrate me about the licensing system. Here is NSW, you give your name, DOB & Address and lodge what species you have and pay $64 for 2 years and that's it. What's the point of needing a license to keep reptiles if whether you can care for them or not is irrelevant? I think there should be a basic test or something similar to prevent this from happening. Rant over.

He's a little cutie anyway, hopefully he flourishes under a proper feeding regime :)

Poor little thing. No wonder you wanted to get the chicken necks into him pretty quickly. Hopefully now he is in better hands he can start putting some weight and muscle on.

that's very sad because SW carpets are on my wish list. I do hope the rest of his life is much better for him, poor little thing

What a shame such a good looking snake, should be on 70 odd gram feeds at the moment but that would probably be best done with two 35ish g mice/rats rather than one fat one as it would probably be quite a stretch for the poor thing after such small feeds.. If he is alert and ok otherwise he will probably thrive now that your friend has him and starts feeding him more appropriately.

Not commonly kept in the east. They are a great carpet and much smaller than the other sub-species. Most of my adults are around and under 6ft. So much colour variation too!
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/groups/south-western-carpet-python-keepers-280/pictures/

I know they are so very attractive which is what drew me to them. One day I will get one, constantly on the look out for one. Same with Shinglebacks. One day I will be lucky and my time will come to experience life with such facinating animals and me their slave

good on to you and your mate , im in a similar situation atm with this one guy , i wont go into to much details but basically its a bhp , supposedly 9 years old ( his girlfriends confirmed its at least 6 as his had it since they met and girlys dont forget that stuff ) and would be pushing it to be a meter , real problem is that he wont hand it over , is not listening to what i say about feeding etc and parks are being slow to act , think i might give them another call now actually

Poor thing... I hope he gets better soon. Recently, I have actually taken ownership of a jungle carpet python from a girl who underfed, and I believe it has been dropped a few times and has a dislodged jaw as it can't actually stick its tongue in properly. It still amazes me how some people manage to get a reptile licence, snakes are like any other animal they have their own needs and some may be snappy. This is something that some reptile licence holders fail to understand.

Yeh my mate is doing all the right things that i showed him.
I told him its best to turn him in though before he gets to attached as he is not legal (on paper) and he has a license that's not worth loosing as he wants to buy a legal python.
What do you guys think is the best option.
In WA btw.

Yeh my mate is doing all the right things that i showed him.
I told him its best to turn him in though before he gets to attached as he is not legal (on paper) and he has a license that's not worth loosing as he wants to buy a legal python.
What do you guys think is the best option.
In WA btw.
Hand it in and get another one. Not worth it really is it....

Its thing like this that frustrate me about the licensing system. Here is NSW, you give your name, DOB & Address and lodge what species you have and pay $64 for 2 years and that's it. What's the point of needing a license to keep reptiles if whether you can care for them or not is irrelevant? I think there should be a basic test or something similar to prevent this from happening. Rant over.

He's a little cutie anyway, hopefully he flourishes under a proper feeding regime :)

$64 wow here we pay that for 1 year. some people should never own reptiles, bet their dog or cat got fed more as it grew up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back