woma regurgitating food

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bingera84

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I ont think i have a massive problem, but just checking on my snakes and my female woma came out of hide laid under the light and regurgitated its rat ( that it ate on sunday night 120grams) all that was left was hair a tail and bone, none of my snakes have ever done this. she has not been handled or anything different in at all changed or happened. She then went crazy attacking it (the pile of smelly mess) and eating it again. It was all slime and she was making such a mess so i took her out and obviously cleaned out enclosure. Has anyone noticed this before with any of their sankes and any reason why she would regurgitate her food a few days later?
Thanks

My bhp did once. Temps were too cold.

Possibly your temps fluxuated. without the heat digestion is severly slowed and the rat will decompose before its processed and will poison the snake. To protect against this the snake will regurgitate before it happens.

Sometimes it just happens , if over all she seems ok now ,try another feed to see how she goes . If it happens again with that feed ,you may want to get her checked out ...if she keeps it down and craps normally next then don't worry...

Temps are between 26-30 throughout day and night. She is looking great to be honest . I will keep watch anyway thanks

Try keep the temps 30-32 +- 1 See if that helps.

As someone has stated ( sorry cant look on iPhone) if the temps fluctuate to much or are to low the snake will regurgitate the food as it will rot in the stomach if it doesn't have enough heat to aid in the digestion of the prey. Could end up with a sick snake or a dead one.

Last edited:
Woma don't mind a really warm heat spot. I have mine set to 34c during the day with no heating or minimal heating at night. Turn up the temp a bit but it is probably just a one off thing like suggested.

Temps are between 26-30 throughout day and night. She is looking great to be honest . I will keep watch anyway thanks

In my opinion 26-30 is ok for the cool end but need to be getting up toward 34-36 at the hot end.
My BHP's have no heat at night and Im in Victoria so I don't think you need to heat the tank at night.

You are keeping her way too cold.
My adults have a basking spot of 35-40, my hatchlings a steady 36-37.
Tbh I am surprised your Woma does not have a serious respiratory infection from being kept at those temps.
If you do not raise the temps you will end up with a dead Woma.

Just be aware though that she will still need a cool end of around 25.

It's 33-36 in her hide and drops at night I live on Gold Coast so it's warm anyway. The rest of enclosure is 26-30 over 24hrs all womas are kept at that and never ever a problem. She spends most her time lying in the open occasionally going in there for a few hours, this is the first time I have seen her not hold down food

I'm not having a go at you but those temps seem really high i keep my Adult woma's at 33 to 35 max?
And temps for the hatchlings sound way to hot i have got mine at 32 to 33?
Once again not having a go just curious.

Caleb.

I'm not having a go at you but those temps seem really high i keep my Adult woma's at 33 to 35 max?
And temps for the hatchlings sound way to hot i have got mine at 32 to 33?
Once again not having a go just curious.

Caleb.

They love high temps, mine are thriving.
As long as you have a cool end of around mid 20s then having a basking spot of 35-40 is fine.

I havent tried again yet i will try feeding her on the weekend again. She is fine now i think. I bumped the temps up more but they seem to be un settled. I will take them back to my normal settings which prove to be good, must just be one of those things that happen. The other collection have had no issues and they are all set the same, food is from great source (baden solar17) really great looking healthy rats. She actually did a nice solid poo the next day aswell.

hey guys,
So i offered my woma a 120g rat today she nailed and it was gone in seconds....i also added a heat mat under her hide during the week and she seems to be spending more time in there.
I now have an issue with my adult darwin...he is 3 years old has eaten every week ( i have only had him 3 weeks ) He has had two 120g rats first week and one next week... he has only pooed out the white part of waste and not anything else and tonight refused to eat. He doesnt look like shedding yet. Im thinking maybe the rats were not enough and he has obsorbed the whole rat with little waste ...just shat out the white stuff. he is around 1.7 mt and around 40-50mm wide at thickest part. Any advise or am i a worry wart like with the woma hahha

lol, ur being a worry wart, mine always hang onto a poo when theyre approaching a shed,...i think they like to wrap the occasional one up for me since they always watch me doing it with newspaper later.
(they always do a urate about 3-4 days after eating tho, just not the brown part)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back