Frogmouth

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
We were laying and terminating some fibre today when I came across this guy semi-asleep in his tree. He wasn't overly impressed at being disturbed but was really good at being photogenic. Only nabbed a couple of pics so as not to wake him up too much.

I have only ever seen one other Frogmouth sitting on a pole waiting for his next meal and to actually get a close up look was pretty cool. Amazing camo and just a generally cool animal.

IMG_1156_zps78f3c426.jpg

IMG_1157_zps9dd08c7c.jpg

IMG_1155_zps20ea58f7.jpg

Last edited:
They are beautiful animals!

We always see them around at home. Its always entertaining trying to point them out to people.
"Its just there"
"Where? i dont see anything?"
"That branch right there, see the lumpy bit?"
"Its just a tree, cant see anything!"
"LOOK WHERE I AM POINTING GOD DAMMIT"

;)

An interesting thing to know about these birds is that they're not asleep when you're this close. They squint their eyes and look at you through slits and almost imperceptibly turn their heads in order to keep watch on you.

We have a baby one where I work and it is sooo cute! Quite amazing how large they can potentially get as adults.. and noisy? Geeeeez...

Not an owl...sorry couldn't help myself.
You are correct that it isn't an owl but I don't think anyone has called it an owl in this thread and I wouldn't mind betting that you listen to JJJ.

You are correct that it isn't an owl but I don't think anyone has called it an owl in this thread and I wouldn't mind betting that you listen to JJJ.

Nope, she was correct, I called it an owl in the title which I have since fixed because I was mistaken

Always willing to learn, what is it classed as? I was always told it was an owl, but happy to be taught otherwise... :oops:
They're neither owls nor nightjars, although they're more closely related to the latter. However they are quite different to nightjars, with the most obvious difference being size, with frogmouths being considerably larger.
It has been proposed that frogmouths are so distinctive that they belong in an order of their own.

Nice Pic.. One of my favorite birds.I went out before to take some pic's of the Owl's living me the tree here.. Seemed to have moved on. Was only 1 then another turned up. Maybe a new mate so they moved house.

I love these birds, they have the ultimate disguise! Such a beautiful creater, thanks for sharing Snipercap :)

Nope, she was correct, I called it an owl in the title which I have since fixed because I was mistaken
Sorry SarahJane I did not see the title before it was corrected but it appears we both may have been misinformed if Bushman is correct.

There just classed in the night jar family... They seem to have been noted as an owl for a while but as above they need there own definitive part in the bird world... I was amazed at them when I emigrated and have approached many and they don't mind being stroked on the back.... Just keep yur eye on the pointy end tho!!!. Ps I was a breeder of owls in the UK .... No falconry in OZ so took up snakes lol

We had some nest in our yard last year and the little babies are so cute the look nothing like the adults just white fluffballs! They are amazing when they hunt I saw one hunting in my yard they pounce.

They are classed as Frogmouths in all three of my books ( even the old one )
Featherdale __ in Sydney have several that sit in the entrance way to their animals and freak out the visiting Asians when they get too close without seeing them . Always good for a laugh at the start of a visit :D

Apologies SC, off topic.

Attachments

• Tawnies 001 [1600x1200].jpg
    Tawnies 001 [1600x1200].jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back