questions on 18 months old jungle python and enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lazerboyz

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hi, i just purchased an 18 months old jungle python, and have 2 major concerns atm.

firstly, the weather in brisbane is getting cooler so i bought a ceramic heater and a "light cage" (i am using a metallic mesh pencil holder). Enclosure is mainly made of wood, i was wondering if any of you experienced builders out there can give a good suggestion, how can i actually "attach" the light cage on wood.

secondly, as an 18 months old jungle, im slightly concerned that the snake is a little small for its age. i will measure its length once i get home tonight. its happily eating fuzzie rats once a week at the moment.

i can post some pictures if that helps, for both concerns.

thanks in advance.

Hi Lazerboyz, ive got melamine enclosures and my light cages are fixed to the roof with screws,if a bulb blows its only a matter of 2minutes to remove and change bulb...Secondly you may be concerned regarding the size,all snakes will grow at different rates,it comes down to how much-frequent being fed also...Ive had a few hatchies from the same clutch,and fed the same size food item and one in particular was huge compared the others..So 18months old it should be eating atleast weaner rats,if not small-med rats...A 6month old jungle can fuzzie rats..

yeah i am slightly concerned as well. at the moment it is exactly 65cm long.
Untitled.jpg

and in it, is a fuzzie rat that was fed about 65 hours ago. is it too small for its age?

also, i took some pictures of the enclosure problem i was mentioning.
DSCF2844.JPGUntitled.jpgDSCF2846.jpg

The python is really defensive, and i've been bitten several times, although it doesnt hurt, i dont want to risk hurting the snake. Still waiting for my snake hook to arrive, wondering if i should attempt to handle it while waiting, and how? (not even confident of handling them after the hook arrives :/, need some pointers here)

hope these helps. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I would just leave it alone to settle in for atleast a week...For a 18month old it could be a little bigger,however its not a concern,as i mentioned before snakes grow at different rates..Just remember pythons can and do go without food for months..i had a Diamond that didnt eat for 6-7months without weight..Once its settled a bit try a larger rat..small weaner rat,make sure its nice and warm and offer the snake...That size-age snake i generally feed every 5-8days...My pair of jungles are 2-3year old and ive had more puncture marks then a pin cushion,alot of jungles are bitey,some snap out of it,some dont,mine seem to get worse..Ive got some light cages like yours however mine have screw holes..your light cage doesnt seem to have them..if not maybe drill a few holes then screw into top of cage..Nice jungle also..

seems really small for its age and eating small food for is age aswell but looks like a really nice snake

how long have you had the snake for?
if you only recieved it recently you may want to leave him for a week to settle, best way to get them out is to use a hook and also use a pillow case like a glove and sit him in your hand just let him get used to your scent and make nice slow movements, also he should be able to down medium rat size

you reckon at this size, 65cm, its able to down a weaned or small or not to mention a medium sized rat?

i've had it since 11th Feb, and left it alone in its click clack for about 3 days, before putting the whole click clack lid off into its big enclosure. it seems pretty okay with it tbh, exploring by itself sometimes, at night.
then, on 18th Feb, i gave it a fuzzy rat, and left it alone for 2-3 days. and here i am now.

i try to make very slow movements but it gets really defensive when i get close. gives me defensive bites, which are honestly not a real concern, but somehow im just afraid to pick it up by force, and think i shouldnt be doing that. when its scared, it forms an S shape with its neck and head, ready to strike, and that is almost all the time when im trying to handle it. i understand that snakes do not generally like to be handled, but i do want to get it used to being handled a little more frequently than none.

here are some of the pictures taken during my first feed.. and they are only fuzzie rats.
426060_10151254482246787_1994065247_n.jpg45771_10151254482091787_641273176_n.jpg69676_10151254482146787_1811818285_n.jpg

*sorry for the blur photos, took some through the clickclack :/

Last edited:
My male is 18months old and not much bigger then that. He is on fuzzy rats but he usually takes one and a pinky rat in one feed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back