Cages for heat bulbs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mathal

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm setting up a couple of beardie enclosures and was wondering about cages around heat bulbs.. Are they necessary like they are for snakes?

You do not need protective cages for use with beardies unless you are concerned that they could come into contact with the bulbs. In most cases you can position basking branches such that they cannot touch the bulbs which can save you some money. So it really depends upon your particular set up and whether your lizards can come into contact with your basking bulbs or not.

I sometimes see my male beardie climbing on the cage of his heat light. I use them because of this, it depends on the individual beardie ;)

whatever u do try to make your own, pet shops are asking $40 for a small cage! i got hubby to make me one that cost about $5 lol. Just used wire framing and snake mesh :) I would def use one though just 2 be on the safe side.

I, myself don't find it necessary for my beardies.
As long as you provide a decent basking spot and the correct temperature, beardies are happy to bask under it.
Snakes on the other hand, I believe, will try their very best to get to the heat source as close as they can, resulting in them climbing and wrapping their body around the basking bulb.

I use them for my beardies, not because they have burnt themselves on the bulbs. I am notorious for burning my own hand on the bulbs. So now I have cages and I have not had a burn since. :oops:

Yeah that made me laugh. Sorry to laugh at your misfortune lol. I always wondered about making my own. Might look into it.

As for cages, I don't think my bearded would be able to get up there, yet lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back