Small black unidentified snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pococino

Reaction score
hello peeps. i found about a metre long snake in my outdoor bathroom yesterday.
i live in rural darwin area. it had a head like a carpet python but it was black allover, with a barely visible pattern like a carpet python. I have been searching for an identity but cant find anything like it? wondering if its a juvenile of some species. my juvy NT carpet python is very different in appearance from her mum n dad.
Any ideas???
P.S we live near water, lots of frogs around now with the rain.

I have heard of REALLY black wild MD carpets but I don't know if you get them in your area :? Could be from a region with a lot of dark rocks and soil? That would make him a much darker colour for camoflauge

I have heard of REALLY black wild MD carpets but I don't know if you get them in your area :? Could be from a region with a lot of dark rocks and soil? That would make him a much darker colour for camoflauge

NT is a bit far North for Murray-Darling Carpets

since near a water body it could be a water python, slatey grey, macleay's water snake or various types of whip snakes:)

Last edited:
Yeah I just realised that...I didn't realise he was in the NT...next time I'll read the origional post right :oops:

Could also be a Slatey Grey or Northern Small-eyed (Secretive) Snake, but with a description like that it's anybodies guess.

As people have indicated it could be a number of possibilities. So if you cannot provide a picture, you need to provide a lot detail in the description. For example, in way does the head resemble that of a carpet – patter, shape, bulging eyes, very distinct fro neck, small, irregular head shields etc? What size was it – approximate length and approximate thickness? What was it doing at the time – on the floor, on a rafter, climbing up of the ground, jjust climbing over a low object etc? How did it react to being disturbed? Was there a pale band of white or colour along the lower laterals? Where did the dull pattern begin and end? What time was it active?

They say a picture is worth a thousand words – so without a picture you need to provide a good detailed description, even to just reduce the number of possibilities.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back