My mate found a frog

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonesy1990

Reaction score
My friend found this frog relaxing at his door the other night and I was just wondering what it is? It was found in esperance wa. I have never seen one before
86BF59B1-9C37-4C0A-AAE4-D19D0D91FD01-1098-0000011CB33E98D5_zps8ac85231.jpg

I disagree, the leg shape, and head shape doesn't suggest L.dorsalis to me, much more like a Heleioporus sp.

It also seems to be a little lacking in pattern copared to a L.dorsalis and the blue eye colour is very similar to H.psammophilus and H.eyrei

Helioporous rather than Limnodynastes. In the former the eyes stand out more, the body is more robust (larger compared to the head), more rounded lengthwise and the tympanum is not at all visible. In Limnodynastes, there is at lest an annulus of skin marking the site of the tympanum.

It is Helioporus eyrei - distribution and lacking nuptial spines on the first two fingers. From another camera angle, you’d probably find it has a pale grey reticulum over the sides of the body. Once you have heard the call of these things you will never forget it. It sounds just like a little kid lost in the dark and moaning – hence the common name “Moaning Frog”.

Blue

Great work guys. I agree with Blue that it's probably Heleioporus eyrei for the same reasons.
I have to commend you again Blue on your excellent ID posts. The way that you justify your identifications is exemplary.

Last edited:
Could be psammophilus or eyrei, impossible to say from the pic, even difficult with the animal in hand without hearing them calling. Even adult males are of no use in this case, both eyrei and psammophilus lack nuptial spines in southern areas.

You're quite correct Echiopsis. Whilst Heleioporus eyrei is the only species of Heleioporus in which the males lack nuptial spines, southern specimens of H. psammophilus are also lacking in the possession of small nuptial spines.
Females of these two species are usually indistinguishable from each other.
"Males of these species can only be distinguished with certainty by their calls".
Pg.72 Reptiles & Amphibians of Australia, 6th Ed. 2000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back