Yearling Coastal Carpet Python, HELP!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthewRMF

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So ten days ago I got my female Coastal Carpet Python (She is about 50 CM long) from my local pet store. She was in a very small enclosure and I took her home and put her in my 4x2x2 enclosure. I fed her on the 20'th of Feb (Wednesday) and she ate her rat well, she didn't resist at all. Now that it has been 3 days I tried to pick her up whilst she was in her enclosure and she freaked out and got into the striking position. I then tried again later on and she leaped at my finger and started breathing heavily.

I am just after any answers that could be helpful in this situation as I do not want a pet snake that I can't even hold or take out of her enclosure. Could it be that she is still getting use to her new big enclosure as apposed to the little one that she came out of at the pet shop?

I'm extremely anxious to hold her and just wanted to know what to do in this situation as she is my first snake ever.

Thank you,
Matt
smile.png

She sounds scared out of her mind. I would be putting her into a small click clack and leaving her alone for a week then start handling slowly with a few minutes every second day or so.
py6uqy5e.jpg
something this size is a good size for a young snake. It's a 7 liter that you can get from woollies.

Im no pro but i did have the same problem with my coastal. what you described is saying to me that your snake is scared and trying to defend herself. Is she due for a shed? my guy is evil when in shed mode he strikes at anything and everything so i always leave him well alone the entire time. It may also be she is still settling into her new home. I found with Gorgoo that most his strikes are bluffing he only nipped me once. My advice is to not be scared lol as hard as that is i know, but seriously the more i used to stand and watch him and think about picking him up the more he freaked out! take a deep breath and scoop her up next time shes settled. I still get a darting head from my guy he never willingly comes to me lol. Oh and im still a tiny bit scared everytime! but ah well....not all snakes are cruisy some just have that fighsty on edge personality! goodluck.

That's exactly what she was in at the pet shop, do you think I should put her back in one of those? I am pretty sure she is due for a shed because on the card I got from the pet shop it said that she is pretty much due for one so I should just leave her alone I guess. If I was to move her back into one of those 7 liter containers, how long would I have to leave her in there?

Cheers for the help guys! Can't thank you enough!

Matt

Small 10 litre click clack with a 7 watt heat mat underneath with a few hides and a water bowl get a prob climate control thermostat to mearsure temps have the heatmat set to 32-33 and have a cool end of 27-29 cool end ill post pics of mine when i finish later to give you an idea an for a yearling would suffice its telling you 4x2x2 is to big and it feels threaten in its environment so get a click clack pimp it out relocate your baby in it for a week with no disturbance except to change the water every few days and cover the click clack to help it settle in during the week it worked perfect for me and lots and lots of other people!

does she have a hide in the enclosure so she can hide and feel safe?

she will need time to adjust and get use to the new enclosure. also that click clack is way to small. i have 2 adult coastal which are very gentle giants, but my coastal yearlings are little monsters no matter what.

if you do decide to use a click clack make sure its big enough for her to roam around, and make sure the heat mat only cover half or less than half the bottom on the tub as you don't want to over heat her.

It's good to hear that the adults are friendly! I have 1 hide in there at the moment but I have never actually seen her go in there, she usually just sits right at the top of the cage in the corner. How long do you think it will take for her to get use to be in there. Whenever I look at her, or if she knows Im in the room, she will completely freeze and not move at all.

Thanks for all your help guys, it's awesome!

I know you probably don't want to, but, although with lots of hiding places a 50cm snake can go fine in a 4x2x2 tank, I'd be putting it in a much smaller container as others have mentioned. It will be easier and I'd bet less stressful for you and the snake until it's a bit bigger.

She'll most likely settle down faster for you being in a nice confined space where she feels more secure aswell, but if you want to keep it in a 4x2x2 give it lots of places to hide and climb.

i have 2 adult coastal which are very gentle giants, but my coastal yearlings are little monsters no matter what.

that gives me hope! lol my coastal is 15mths old and has never been placid....very jumpy and edgy. even before i changed his enclosure :rolleyes:

that gives me hope! lol my coastal is 15mths old and has never been placid....very jumpy and edgy. even before i changed his enclosure :rolleyes:
sorry it took so long!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 148
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 158
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 150
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 166
I got 2 juvi coastal in the past year both are tame now (one still has it's moments but we are working on it) as its your first snake I assume you havn't been bitten yet? if so I am going to tell me what my dad did to me when I was 10 and got my first snake he made me close my eye and reach in and take a bite, best thing he could have done the bite doesn't hurt much at all even when I was ten as for taming them I used to handle for the first few week (after the settling in period) only for 2 minutes a day at the same time every day and gradually increased as they got used to it

sounds like typical deranged coastal behaviour to me.. mine never calmed down lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back