Worried about GTF!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

picaloandlola

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi ! I have two green tree frogs that have been happy, bright green and croaking for roughly 3 years. They are still following these healthy habits, except the male has developed light green/ white dots on his back (not the natural ones on his flanks) I wasnt too worried when their was only a couple, till today I saw them spread, it is not noticeable just yet, but the spreading factor got me worried. They are not at all lumpy just like pigmentation spots. I actually can't sleep now, I'm seriously stressed because my first green tree frog died a month after taking him home with spots (many more and much bigger/ potentially lumpy- didn't look like these ones but I'm stressed ) after fighting for him to be ok with daily medicin and vet visits :(:(:( I actually can't lose picalo. Do I seperate them ? Am I over worrying. I am purchasing a new UV light tomorrow and will change their water. Anyway I could just be being a drama queen because I literally had to get up close and personal to see them but I have just had a bad experience with spots !!!!!!!!!!! Any help would be much appreciated !!!!!!! THANKYOU

I also keep green tree frogs, but apart from their normal spots I've never seen any others develop on mine. Could you post a picture of the spots?
If you're really worried I'd take him to a vet.

Hey ! Thanks so much for the help. I feel kinda silly for making this post after sending photos to vets and stressing like a maniac on here ! ....... When the spots disappeared a day or so later !?? I don't know. Anyway crisis averted ! Thankyou anyway ! Sorry for the stress !

Are the spots light green? Has he been demonstrating sluggish behavior and irregularly frequent shedding? Could they have come in contact with any fluid from any amphibians from the wild or someone else's collection?

The reason I ask this as it may be chytrid, a highly contagious, highly fatal fungal infection that I experienced last year. It wiped out all but one of my little froggie friends.

i would recommend immediately seperately that individual of he shows any of those symptoms and I you need advice on treatment, in here.

Yeah, although they look similar, they do have some really striking differences, like spots (more of them) and yellowish underbelly and toes.

Defiantly not a maggie. No he has not been in contact with other frogs and does not display those symptoms. And yes I lost my first GTF through the same infection and it was a massive fight to keep him alive and it was incredible sad, that's why I was stressing out so much and made this rash post. The spots have gone now, I changed the water and the uv light but I'm still checking on him. Their is another frog in their with him and around food time they go crazy and often fight I'm hoping the discolouration was just abrasion from fighting but I'm keeping a close eye on him ! All your help is much appreciated !

it could be a bacterial infection.

One of my GTF developed one from stress, i got a new cat that had been peering into the enclosure. I didnt see any spots until after i had found her dried out on her back... Luckily though i was able to put her in a hospital enclosure, rehydrate her and get her to the vet. She recovered with antibiotics and is doing fine a couple of months later.

I can post some pics so you can have a look at the spots?

Yes please I would love to see pics ! Thankyou ! It could have been a stress thing. I just recently moved the tank next to my beardie tank and the beardie goes crazy at their side of his tank ....... Maybe I move the cage and just keep the tlc coming to ensure those spots don't return !

kind of hard to see but on the photo with with healing blisters you can see a white spot...

The spots that i saw on my girl were white without an outline like their natural colouring.

Attachments

• IMG_5469.jpg
    IMG_5469.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0163.jpg
    IMG_0163.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0201.jpg
    IMG_0201.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 54
Oh my ! The poor baby girl !!!!! I'm so glad she is better !!!!! Thankgod mine look nothing like that ! But I will keep you posted ! Moving the tank away from my crazy beardie tomorrow !!!!!

yeah it all happened very quickly. Ive had them for years and check them every day, one day i found her dry on the bottom of the tank and i thought she was dead... I turned her on her back and she moved a little so i put her in the hospital enclosure. Everyone i talked to said she wouldnt last the night but she did so i took her to the vets first thing. Unfortunately by this stage blisters had developed on her head.

I gave her antibiotics and soaked her in electrolyte solution for 2 weeks and she recovered, despite her very low odds.

Shes completely fine and healed now though =]

Just goes to show what a little extra stress can do to them, in this case a few swipes through the glass by a kitten =/ and just how fast these things can happen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back